Melki's Reviews > Wyrd Sisters

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: fantasy, humorous-fiction

I know the wizards have their fans, but for my money, NOBODY beats the Discworld witches.

Granny Weatherwax and her "cronies" try to dethrone an undesirable king in this adventure. To do it they'll need to mess around with time and even consort with...actors - gasp!

Here the gals summon a demon, with predictably Pratchett-like results:

The waters seethed a little, became very still and then, with a sudden movement and a little popping noise, mounded up into a head.
"Well?" it said.
"Who're you?" said Granny, bluntly.
The head revolved to face her.

"My name is unpronounceable in your tongue, woman," it said.
"I'll be the judge of that," warned Granny, and added, "Don't you call me woman."

"Very well. My name is WxrtHltl-jwlpklz," said the demon smugly.
"Where were you when the vowels were handed out? Behind the door?" said Nanny Ogg.

Nanny Ogg is my new role model. A boozy, incorrigible old flirt who uses her cauldron as a beer cooler...what's not to love?

She's also an expert when it comes to child rearing:

The water under the lid was inky black and, according to rumor, bottomless; the Ogg grandchildren were encouraged to believe that monsters from the dawn of time dwelt in its depths, since Nanny believed that a bit of thrilling and pointless terror was an essential ingredient of the magic of childhood.

So, forget about piano lessons and soccer camp. Instead, scare the crap out of your kids. They'll thank you for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wyrd Sisters.

July 30, 2012 – Started Reading
July 30, 2012 – Shelved
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: humorous-fiction
August 3, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Bettie Singalong - And the hedgehog can't be buggered at all

Melki ---with a giraffe, if you stand on a stool."

Bettie

We do
we do
We do
Oh! Nanny we love You You You

Toby And yet she appears in the YA Discworld novels...

You certainly seem to be having a great time reading through these books. Aren't you a littl eager to read more than one a month?

Hazel Wyrd sisters introduces one of my favourite characters, Greebo. He's just brilliant. especially in Witches Abroad.

message 6: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie Nanny Ogg could have been my mother, who truly believed that a bit of thrilling and pointless terror was an essential ingredient of the "magic" of my childhood.

Melki My dad also believed in a little bit of terror. He used to dress up like a ghost and run around the yard. Worked great til one time I noticed that the ghost had the same corduroy bedroom slippers as my father...

I'm looking forward to more of Greebo. Who will he impregnate next?

And no, Toby. One Discworld a month is enough. There are too many other books waiting impatiently in my stacks.

Hazel Melki, I'm ahead by about 4 books now, its really getting quite worrying.

Bettie From the Discworld Companion:

A huge one-eyed Tom who divides his time between sleeping, eating and fathering the most incestuous feline tribe. He is technically a mottled grey but is covered with so much scar tissue that he looks like a fist with fur on.

Melki I know, Hazel. I've been monitoring your progress. Just don't forget everything by the time the discussion rolls around.

"Fist with fur on" is just SO descriptive. But it does sound like an almost perfect lifestyle.

Hazel I'm about to finish moving pictures, then I'm going to stop till you guys catch up. I will read Guards Guards at the same time as you guys, as its missing off my shelf, and I haven't read it in order. Must find out who's had off with it, or buy a new copy.

Clouds ...it's made from apples, well, mostly apples

Lynne King Melki, I've just come across your review. Yes this was one of my five favourite books out of the Discworld series.

David Sarkies I've developed an attachment to the witches as well. This was one of my favourite Discworld novels.

Melki David wrote: "I've developed an attachment to the witches as well. This was one of my favourite Discworld novels."

I just LOVE those witches. In fact, their appearance in Carpe Jugulum helped that book worm its way onto my all-time favorites list.

Victoria Conlan Everyone has a Nanny Ogg. I think mine was my Auntie Rosie. :-D