David's Reviews > How Computers Really Work

How Computers Really Work by Matthew Justice

I most enjoyed the evergreen material in the first half of this book: from transistor logic to high-level programming. I can't really disagree with the choice of the "cloud" and "app" material in the later part of the book since that IS what people probably think of in terms of modern computing...but it felt insubstantial and fad-ish (probably because it IS insubstantial and fad-ish) compared to the earlier material.

I have to say that the really stand-out stuff in this book are the activities. This book covers a vast scope of material and being able to put ALL of it into hands-on practical experience is a brilliant move.

I bought this book to read to my kiddos (and that's exactly what I did - it came after the regular bedtime story). I think it's an amazing resource for young audiences. I would have given my right arm for this breadth of coverage when I was at the right age for it. But really, this would be incredible for anyone with a curiosity about computers.

I'm still a huge, huge fan of "The Pattern on the Stone" by Hillis, which packs an incredible amount of lucid explanation in a tiny package. But now I also have a book to recommend with practical exercises. I also think the use of the Raspberry Pi is right on the mark - I love the idea that we have a cheap, common teaching instrument that is a REAL computer that is itself available for less than the price of a book. It's a perfect combo.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Computers Really Work.

January 28, 2021 – Started Reading