Petr's Reviews > Red Country

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

Jul 29, 2012

Read from October 18 to 28, 2012

Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he's a damn good author. But if I should be realistic I liked his previous books more with exception of the Best served cold (The Heroes <- First law trilogy <- Red country <- Best served cold).

Still it's pretty good book and I really liked it - hence the four stars :) I wanted to say that it's fast paced but unfortunately it's first quarter is quite slow and least entertaining which is in contrast with a great start of the story and it's second half.

We have some recurring characters from previous books that I was really glad to meet again and loads of new ones that are a good addition to the world's lore and we will probably see them again in the future books. The western theme of the book was good choice and I loved the themes and places (especially the Deadwoodish Crease and the mountains at the end). Also the action and skirmish descriptions are great and hold up to what you are expecting from Abercrombie. They are even scenes when I literally (and I'm not mistaking it with figuratively ;) had a goosebumps (ring fight at Crease for example).

To sum it up, it was a great read and I'm very much looking forward to the new planned trilogy, albeit it's still at least two years away. Let's hope we finally see more from the Empire of Gurkul and meet Glokta or Jezal again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Country.