Ria Lize's Reviews > The Undomestic Goddess

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

2055542
Jul 29, 2012

Read from July 29 to 30, 2012

Since I've been reading chick-lit recently, I feel inclined to vent. Maybe it's is just me, maybe it's not. But then, how do I know if it is? >.<
I don't know if it's chick-lit, or if it's non-series reads, but just as I start to enjoy the budding romance, the story just ends.Sure, a book has to end at some point, but I want more. I invest my emotions and my time with these characters, I want to feel satisfied.

What this book does very well is the emotional build-up. It has a relatable protagonist and good supporting characters, placed in hilarious situations. The emotion and drama does build up to a nice level, but I find the resolution lacking. It seems all the silliness and drama ( which I love) is sooo good that it needs to un-build up. And it's not doing it very well. How to explain... It's like fireworks. Pretty fireworks that dazzle you, but disappear in an instant. It's frustrating, I tell you.
I wanted it to be like.. fire. Blazing hot fire that burns in your memory. Fire that dances all night in mirth, in all its blazing, mesmerising glory.

Don't get me wrong- the ending was good. Just not, to me, completely satisfying.

However, I loved Samantha and her transformation to becoming a 'house-keeper'. I do kind of feel sorry for her neglected mathematical skills, but hey, it's her life. I love her spine when she stood up to her mother to do what makes her happy.

Now, Nathaniel. Is he a gazillionaire? Nope. Note: He does NOT:
-own a limousine
-have a high position of power
-own a company that everyone seems to know
- become/was/is a playboy...
-become/was/is the bad-boy-turned-good type
- possessive *cough* I mean, possess stalker-ish tendencies.

In fact, he's completely NORMAL. Aint that a breath of fresh air? :-P

I really enjoyed "The Undomestic Goddess". It only took me a couple of hours to read, and I hate that it's a little too short, but otherwise, it's good therapy for ...hell, any day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undomestic Goddess.