Cliff's Reviews > The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict

M 50x66
Jul 29, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 29 to August 09, 2012

This prequel to the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy stands out, much as the original books did, for being both exceedingly clever and surprising to the reader. Even when I thought I had sussed out how Mr. Stewart planned to resolve the storylines he had put into place, I did not come up with as elegant a solution he had planned out. In the end, the book is just as entertaining as the trilogy and still managing to teach a worthwhile lesson to the child who may be reading it.

I do question whether I would rate it as highly as the trilogy if it had been read at the same time. But with a little distance, I felt the warmth of homecoming to this world and I enjoyed it more. I do believe that there is nothing in the book that really foreshadows anything in the trilogy, so it can truly be read separately from the other books without fear of spoilers. The only "spoiler" is that Mr. Benedict's first name is plainly revealed in the title of this book whereas it was provided as a coded mystery for the reader to solve on the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict.