David's Reviews > Aleph

Jul 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: spirituality-religion
Read from July 29 to 30, 2012

Once again Coelho provides another modern day parable. The tale begins with a midlife crisis heading into adventure to renew his sense of self. As the journey starts it is filled with a plethora of aphorisms and platitudes that begin to exude the smell of cheddar. My advice is to push through this because what happens in the second half is the deep, inner work of learning how to forgive yourself.
Here's some good one-liners:
"Go and reconquer your kingdom, which has grown corrupted by routine."

"To live is to experience things, not sit around pondering the meaning of life."

"Travel is never a matter of money but of courage."

"I remember the many occasions on which help has come from precisely those people whom I though had nothing to add to my life."

"When faced by any loss, there's no point in trying to recover what has been; it's best to take advantage of the large space that opens up before us and fill it with something new."

"Hell is when we look back during that fraction of a second [at the end of life] and know that we wasted an opportunity to dignify the miracle of life. Paradise is being able to say at that moment: I made some mistakes but I wasn't a coward. I lived my life and did what I had to do."

"That is what marks out the warrior: the knowledge that willpower and courage are not the same things. Courage can attract fear and adulation, but willpower requires patience and commitment."

"When a sense of dissatisfaction persists, that means it was placed there by God for one reason only: you need to change everything and move forward."

"No life is complete without a touch of madness..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aleph.