Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Vinegar Girl

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler

2281988

bookshelves: 2021, audience-adults, genre-realistic-fiction, format-audiobooks

The only other Anne Tyler book I've read is Redhead by the Side of the Road, which I loved, and which is a lot different from this title. Vinegar Girl is part of a series of Shakespeare retellings by contemporary authors, and it tells the story of The Taming of the Shrew. Main character Kate is a preschool teacher with a negative attitude, and her dad is a university professor whose assistant, Pyotr, is about to lose his visa. Her dad wants her to marry Pyotr, but Kate absolutely does not want to marry him. Antics ensue, etc.

I think the things I enjoyed most about this book are the aspects that are typical of Anne Tyler: ordinary people doing ordinary things in ordinary places. The nursery school setting is great, for example, and the characters are all believably drawn, but the Shakespearean comedy scenes that were necessary to make this work as a retelling felt a bit tedious to me. I think for it to really work, the tone of the early part of the book would have needed to feel more like a romantic comedy than a work of literary fiction. Still, I enjoyed it enough overall to give it 3.5 stars, which I'm rounding up to 4.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vinegar Girl.

Started Reading