M.J. Kuhn's Reviews > Lodestone

Lodestone by Katherine Forrister

bookshelves: to-read

I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of this book, and if you are a fan of dark fantasy, morally grey characters with room to grow, and fascinating, original magic systems, don't miss it!

The magic system in LODESTONE was unlike anything I personally have read before. The idea of imbibing an object with magic has been done before, of course, but the concept of the lodestones themselves was fascinating and ripe for further exploration in other stories in this world, I think!! The comparison Forrister makes of giving magic to another person in this way with sex work really gave a heavy emotional currency to magic, which was expanded on later in the story when we explore the idea of what it would feel like if someone were to strip your magic without your consent.

Melaine as a character was incredibly relatable. A scrappy, ambitious woman trying to claw her way up from the dregs of society by any means necessary - it's an impulse I think a lot of us identify with, whether or not we want to, haha. I won't give any spoilers in this review, but watching her grow and evolve throughout the story was one of my favorite parts of LODESTONE.

Overall, I devoured this book. There were twists and turns, fascinating magic and terrifying enemies! If this is what she pulls off in her very first novel, I can't wait to see what Forrister's future books hold!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lodestone.

January 25, 2021 – Shelved