K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Brightest

Brightest by Johann de Venecia

Jul 28, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, inspirational, gift-book, pinoy, drama, illustrated
Recommended to K.D. by: Josephine
Read on November 25, 2012 — I own a copy

This book, Brightest could be the best children's book that I've read this year. It has everything that I normally look for in a book written for children. The illustrations are uniquely fascinating: refreshing orange tone, ethereal characters and surreal settings. However, what I enjoyed most were the messages that contained in it: (1) that once in a while, we have to stop and think where we are leading in this life; (2) that it is not a sign of weakness to ask for help; (3) that helping a lost soul can also rejuvenate our own lives; and last but not the least (4) the power of smile.

Upon realizing those built-in messages, I smiled. That smile signals that I have connected to a children's book that I am reading. Grownups, or middle-aged men in particular, do not get to react big time to children's books, right? So a simple smile is enough signal that I liked the book. The reason is that these four messages are reminders or light rays in themselves for me. A few months back, I had falling outs with some friends who I cared about. Some other friends helped me find my way. I think that losing those friends made me a better person and the path that I am leading now, i.e., the things that I am doing, is what I really like and what suit me better. I get to read more books because I have more time to read and write my reviews. I have also more time for my family and my daughter does not longer have to commute on weekends when she needed me to drive her around. I am also able to assist my wife in her business as she is now participating in a weekend Christmas bazaar.

Children's books are made for children to learn the obvious one or two moral lessons. We all had this when we were young. They are also the ones who we could expect to marvel or gawk at the bright catchy illustrations. However, what make or break a deal for a children's book for adults is if one is able to break the code to the hidden messages and those can make him a better person. I can certainly say that this book just did that for me. Forgive and forget. People come and go. Let bygones be bygones and move on. How many people live in the dark past when the future beckons brightly and sunny?

Thank you, Jho. As I read your dedication at the back of the book, my heart warmed up. I had some regrets but I know that I am moving on. Just like the firefly catcher, this book, Brightest and some well-meaning friends will guide me to a better me.

This book is just exceptional.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brightest.

11/25/2012 page 50
100.0% "Done reading but will have to think overnight what I will say in my review. This is just a gorgeous book."

message 1: by Josephine (last edited Nov 25, 2012 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josephine Hi K.D., thank you so much for the review. I'm really glad you liked Brightest. I'd like to say first though, that The Beauty of Loss is Joanne Crisner's work. Majority of my contribution lies in the story itself - though even that was a collaboration among the three of us [Johann, Jo, and myself]. And of course, the magnificent artwork was done by Johann--whom I stalked in the Internet endlessly because I really love his works. LOL.

Brightest is a reflection of all its authors and artist's life. You can say that it is the abridged version of our biography. In my case, I was that firefly catcher, just going and wandering about aimlessly. The firefly was my friends, probably bored out of their wits until they stumbled upon me--one who needs saving. I think that I can summarize best the moral of the story by saying that indeed, no man is an island. We can only go so far by ourselves. Other people have the power to hurt us, yes, but other people can make us happy too. In my case, I have learned to discern the ones whom I can trust from the ones whom I can't. I've led a very sad life for the longest time, and I think that is even saying it lightly. If I didn't let other people into my life just because other people messed me up--I'd still be that--sad... and alone.

Let me end this by saying that I'm truly lucky to have found the brilliant people behind Brightest--Johann and Joanne. And I'm really thankful for all my friends. Because of them, I can look back to that part of my life still with sadness, but also with a smile.

message 2: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos K.D., may I borrow this? :)

K.D. Absolutely You're very much welcome, Jho. Thank you for giving me a copy of this book. Hope you'll come up with more and more books of this kind.

Jzhun, sure. I'll bring my copy on Dec 1st.

message 4: by Josephine (last edited Nov 25, 2012 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josephine K.D. wrote: "You're very much welcome, Jho. Thank you for giving me a copy of this book. Hope you'll come up with more and more books of this kind.

Jzhun, sure. I'll bring my copy on Dec 1st."

@K.D., you're very much welcome. Gusto ko ngang ipabasa sayo ang The Seven, dahil maganda rin yung book. And I'm not saying this because it's our book. The thing is that, I stalked these writers just so they would write for me, LOL. They are all exceptional and talented and I truly believe that we have a shot at the international market.

@Jzhun, I can give you your own copy in exchange for your honest review, kaya lang I'm not sure if I can join you guys this Dec. 1. May TOEFL ako sa December 2 and it's imperative that I do exceptionally well in this test. It's just... I have a way of messing an exam up just when it truly matters to me... siguro dahil na rin ninenerbiyos ako pag mga ganito. LOL.

Jzhun, sure. I'll bring my copy on Dec 1st."

@K.D., Anyway, we do hope to print more books, and I hope that you guys will love it every time ^_^.

K.D. Absolutely Jho, sure. Keep us informed when those new books are about to be released so we can get our copies.

AkoSi Po Kuya Doni panalo ito!.."Forgive and forget. People come and go. Let bygones be bygones and move on. How many people live in the dark past when the future beckons brightly and sunny?"...ito ang Da Best...5 stars!