C.G. Drews's Reviews > Preloved

Preloved by Shirley Marr

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, 4-star, aussie-authors

Oh... I almost cried. It rang sweet... sweet, sad, and wonderfully un-soppy. I could have rejoiced.

Perhaps one of the most appealing elements: Amy and Logan quote movies. What's not to love? The saddest line in the entire book could be, "As you wish." (That's, of course, very handy for the author, since she didn't have to think it up.) I loved all the references to The Princess Bride. I loved that movie. And Amy must be a genius. If school is having an eighties dress-up day, dress as Buttercup. I tell you, Amy is awesome.

Shirley Marr has a way with writing romance that totally wins my heart.

On the "inevitable" note, I felt like rolling my eyes when it mentioned the "end of high-school ball." I'm afraid that is done so often that it's just plain annoying. Even the author's first book, Fury, had the end of high-school ball" (the characters never actually made it to the ball, but I won't go into spoiler details.) The way the ball was done impressed me and there was no lead-up parentless party before hand. (That one bugs me worse than the ball.) All up, Preloved gave a high-school drama with the "have to have them" cliches, but made them fresh and different.

I love Amy's mother. She was MOTHERLY. I don't know about you, but I've noticed a sad lack of parents in books, loving or otherwise. Think of your favourite book with a younger-than-eighteen main character. Do they have parents? Probably not. If they do, the parents aren't even part of the story. And if they are, it's because they're missing and the character has to find them. (I admit, I'm guilty of that in my writing, too.) In this book, Amy's relationship with her mother was a huge part, and a welcome one. Go mothers who care about their kids! Another part of this book was forgiveness, and I loved that, too.

I didn't particularly like Amy's friend Rebecca. I don't think the reader was supposed to like Rebecca, though.

Logan was so funny. All the aspects of him being a ghost echoed hilarious (walking through walls, being extremely cold) and the phrases he used were so bizarre and whacked. (Who'd have thought "chucking a spack" was eighties slang? Even I knew that one.) A lot of the references to the eighties didn't click with me, so I just skimmed them and kept reading. It didn't wreck the book.

This is an excellent book and 100% worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preloved.

Finished Reading