Hans's Reviews > Omega the Unknown

Omega the Unknown by Jonathan Lethem

M 50x66

3.5 stars...though perhaps this would increase with additional readings.

My understanding is that the MacArthur Fellows Grant ("genius" award) gave Lethem a bit of creative time and space to choose his next project and the inclusion of comics in Fortress of Solitude provided an opening to work with Marvel Comics. (I don't have any real details, so will not add any other presumptions.)

Here is what I know. Several years ago I was standing in a bookstore in New York City several years ago with the hardcover collection in my hand. The book was shrink-wrapped, so I could not flip through to determine if I should purchase. When it comes to books, I'm a completist and Jonathan Lethem's work has always been on my radar. In the end, I walked out without the book.

Finally reading this book (with a giant inter-library loan sticker on the front cover) proves that Lethem is also a completist of sorts. He took his opportunity to resolve and rewrite a story that was significant to him. For Letham, the original Omega the Unknown story was both groundbreaking and prematurely canceled. I appreciate Lethem's drive to tell this story, but since the original Omega was simply unknown to me, I feel like I'm missing many of the touchstones that are significant to Lethem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Omega the Unknown.

November 16, 2008 – Shelved