Leon Aldrich's Reviews > Heartwood

Heartwood by James Lee Burke

bookshelves: 2012-reads, thriller-fiction

Burke does it again with another yarn spun in Texas. If there is another author on the planet who turns catchy phrases with such ease, please share em' with me...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartwood.

July 28, 2012 – Started Reading
July 28, 2012 – Shelved
July 28, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-reads
July 28, 2012 – Shelved as: thriller-fiction
July 28, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont You're constantly looking for new authors, eh? Don't have enough books to read, Leon?

Haven't read this (read a number of Burke books) but friend said it was tough getting through, more so than others. You find that true?

Leon Aldrich Cathy wrote: "You're constantly looking for new authors, eh? Don't have enough books to read, Leon?

I've only read the first two in this series. I get so caught up in his phrasing at times, it slows down my reading because I sit back and gnaw all the marrow out of his sentences (yummy)!

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont Me, too. Sometimes I have to read them a couple of times just to make sure I caught every nuance. Did you read my review of the last one I read a couple of days ago? Talked a lot about his sentence structure, etc. I enjoyed writing the review, Dixie City Jam. Liked your comment about "gnaw all the marrow out of his sentences..." Nice....very nice.

Leon Aldrich I imagine Burke's prose brings out the wannabee writer in all of us?

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont Begs the question are avid readers secret wannabee writers? I wanted to write many years ago but not now. A lot of work and don't want to work that hard.

Leon Aldrich Google yWriter5. A programmer turned author developed it for his own writing. It has been through several version updates.