Brittany's Reviews > Who Has Seen the Wind

Who Has Seen the Wind by W.O. Mitchell

Nov 16, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: canadian, modern-classics, school-books, coming-of-age, literary-fiction, fiction
Recommended for: Can Lit fans
Read in September, 2003 , read count: 1

How I Came To Read This Book: I believe this is the first book I read in my Canadian fiction course in first year university.

The Plot: Brian is four years old when we’re introduced to our protagonist, growing up on the prairies with his father the druggist, along with his mother and Scottish grandmother. As a baby boomer, the adult world is still reeling post-WW2 but Brian is simply exploring it – from the wonders of prairie wildlife and weather to his relationships with friends and family members. It’s a relatively sweeping coming of age story of a young boy’s life on the prairies.

The Good & The Bad: Eeee…this is Canadian fiction at its best and worst. If you LIKE classic Canadian fare, with plenty of dry, dusty prose, you will dig this book. If like me, you find it boring, you will want to sleep every time you pick the thing up. Sorry W.O. Mitchell, but life in the mid-20th-century prairies is not the stuff of thrilling novels. To Mitchell’s credit, the book does evoke the same emotions and styles of other similar Canadian AND coming of age novels, and it’s interesting to see them through the eyes of a young boy rather than Hagar in ‘Stone Angel’ or Scout in ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’. Alas though, I am not a Can lit girl, despite how much of it I’ve read.

The Bottom Line: Snoozy prairie fiction.

Anything Memorable?: Nope.

50-Book Challenge?: Nope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Has Seen the Wind.