Laura's Reviews > Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream

Radical by David Platt

F 50x66
Jul 27, 2012

My first take-away comment would be that Radical, by David Platt, is urging us to get off the fence of lukewarmness, and be hot for the Lord. The second would be the fact that the American Dream of living for yourself and accumulating wealth for your own comfort doesn’t connect with the concept of a bold, radical Christian sold out to witnessing for Christ around the world. “What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeits (loses) his own soul?” Mark 8:36

David pulls out some hard-hitting statements that I believe Christians in America need to hear. The “American Dream” has hit even the Church of Jesus Christ. It’s time to be radically changed. Some of the messages that stood out to me in his book include:

Radical obedience to Christ requires that we be a praying people
The key is realizing–and believing–that his world is not your home
Jesus is telling them–and us–that we need to fear God, not people
There is no injustice in God. The injustice lies in Christians who posses the gospel and refuse to give their lives to making it know among those who haven’t heard. That is unfair.
Righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe–the Way, the Truth and the Life. Pluralism, where people believe God has provided many ways of salvation for the lost, falls short
The world is our focus, and we gauge success in the church not on the hundreds or thousands whom we can get into our buildings but on the hundreds or thousand who are leaving our buildings to take on the world with the disciples they are making
We will multiply the gospel only when we allow others to get close enough to us to see the life of Christ in action
We need to connect the blessings of God with the purposes of God–reaching the world
God saves us, not for our sake, but the sake of His holy name. We have received salvation so that His name, ways, salvation and glory will be proclaimed in all nations.
What is strangely lacking is desperation for the power of God. His power is so superior to our. Why do we not desperately seek it?

You will find so much more in his chapters that will rock your world: Someone Worth Losing Everything For; Too Hungry for Words; Beginning at the End of Ourselves; The Great Why of God; The multiplying Community; How Much is Enough; There is no Plan B; Living When Dying is Gain, and finally, The Radical Experiment.

The Radical Experiment: the author challenging us to do five things for one year in total abandonment to Jesus–living the gospel in ways that are true, filled with promise, and ultimately world-changing:

Pray for the entire world. (See operationworld.org)
Read through the entire Bible (Word)
Sacrifice my money for a specific purpose
Spend time in another context
Commit my life to a multiplying community

These five things/works don’t make you a Christian. Only repentance and faith in Christ for your salvation will save you. But the author believes all these things should be evident in a Christian’s life. .

I do not necessarily agree with all the different interpretations expounded within this book, but the basic message of ‘Go and make disciples’ is unmistakable. Many American Christians need to seek God about how He wants us to live our lives for the sake of the Gospel. He acknowledges that he’s accountable as well. Many are going to hell because of our complacency. So when David called his book Radical, he meant it! This book will stop you in your tracks to pursue what role God has for your life to reach the unsaved. Yet I believe David is getting us back to the Biblical view of what Christianity is really about.

This book was provided for free from WaterBrook Multnomah in exchange for my honest opinion. No monetary compensation was exchanged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical.

Started Reading