♡ Half Blood Prince ♡'s Reviews > Revealing Eden

Jul 27, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: self-pubbed
Read on January 01, 2012

i actually read this a long long time ago, and it invoked me to such anger, i can't believe i haven't put up a review for it.

well, since it was a very long time ago, i've forgotten much of what happened in the book. one thing that did happen [and quite consistently throughout the book] that i will never forget, though, was racism.

so.

1) Pearls. Ambers. Tigers-eyes. And then, Coals. That is blatant racism right there, smacking you in the face. Do you want me to believe that the term "Pearl" is supposed to, in any way, belittle or insult or put shame to the white class?

2) Man/animal hybrid loving? if that didn't just put up the squick factor, i'm not sure what did.

"(...) this is about an interracial relationship in a post-apocalyptic world. Or more narrowly, if you take out the question of race, a Beauty and the Beast story (...)"

I'm sorry, but you cannot take out the "question of race" in a book that is in fact about race. And since Eden our PEARL is in a pseudo-relationship with Bramford the COAL, that makes our poor, subjugated, woe-is-me White Girl the Beauty; while ugly, oppressive, monstrous Bramford the Black Guy is the Beast.

4) This coming from a woman who's not sure African-Americans even read any more. I shouldn't be surprised by the author's frame of mind, though, growing up as a privileged white girl sometimes does that to a person. I'd like to think - or hope, at least - that i managed to steer clear of that route.

I'm too harsh on her, of course. Being "slandered with an ugly epithet" at a young age must have been traumatizing for her. Oh, it's not like she didn't have any friends at school and everyone avoided her because she was a POC; it's not like she couldn't get a job, or had to face sexual harassment at every street corner because of her skin colour; but she was insulted with a term normally used for an African-American, and that is bad enough. So she knows what it feels like, you see? She understands what it's like to be on the brunt end of racism. So she speaks for us all when she wrote this book of reverse-racism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revealing Eden.

05/12 marked as: read

message 1: by Hermione (new) - added it

Hermione "Conceivably, if the book had not reached the African-American community of readers, if such a category still exists..."

Wow.

message 2: by manda (new)

manda I think what makes it worse is that Foyt keeps defending her book, instead of taking the time to sit back and see why her readers have reacted so negatively to her book. Instead, she goes around telling them that they didn't understand it correctly. Smh.

message 3: by Hermione (last edited Aug 04, 2012 10:10PM) (new) - added it

Hermione What, exactly, does she defend about it? If "we didn't understand it correctly," does she ever explain what we didn't see correctly? I haven't read much of her articles--only the ones you gave above.

Honestly, I think she should just drop her arguments. Her reasoning is warped.

message 5: by Hermione (last edited Aug 05, 2012 02:58PM) (new) - added it

Hermione I read the first one and I couldn't read anymore. Just--wow. And she's ignoring all those critiques, I see. Expected.