Silver James's Reviews > The Emperor's Wolves

The Emperor's Wolves by Michelle Sagara

bookshelves: audio-books, library, 2021-books-read, fantasy, keeper

The Emperor's Wolves by Michelle Sagara I'm not sure how I feel about this book. I was a big fan of the Chronicles of Elentra, loving the books and rereading them up until about #13. I haven't read/listened to that most current two books in the series. And I had no idea THIS book had been released. I'm guessing it's a spin-off series, as it's also listed as Wolves of Elantra #1; Chronicles of Elantra #0.1. When I discovered it's existence, I hesitated due to my problems with the original series. Still, this book featured Severn Handred, who I found to be one of the most compelling characters in the original. I grabbed it from the library, a bit unwilling to invest more than my time.

Wow. Severn! I knew there were depths to him that might never come to light. He is a young man full of secrets and mysteries--some he can't explain to himself. Since I gave the book 5 stars, I obviously enjoyed the heck out of it. It is reminiscent of the early books in the original series. There is action and intrigue. Some old questions that arose in the original are answered, new questions are asked. The action in this book runs more or less concurrent with CAST IN MOONLIGHT. Kaylin, the MC In the CoE, is newly come to the Hawks, the story of which is covered in the CiM novella. I'm going to relisten to the novella and then CAST IN SHADOW, which is book 1 in CoE to get the timeline straight in my head. It's been a couple of years. Anyway, I have hopes for this new series. I won't be holding my breath and I don't anticipate a second book coming anytime soon but it was amazing to tune into Severn's experiences.

Could a reader start with this book? Maybe. They might find the worldbuilding a bit...sparse because all the amazing groundwork was laid down in the CoE series. Anyway, it's on my wish list now to buy and added to my keeper shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Wolves.

January 20, 2021 – Started Reading