Michelle's Reviews > Shadow of the Sun

Shadow of the Sun by Laura Kreitzer

Jul 27, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf

I could not finish this book, and here's why:

1. The prologue: I really hate prologues that read like somebody grabbed a page from the climax of the book and just slapped it at the beginning. It's so gimmicky, and it doesn't work if I don't know who anybody is.

2. The main character: Most of what we see in the first chapter is Gabriella being horrible to her assistant, Sally. Gabriella tells us one thing ("I'm not a mean person!") and immediately does another (provokes and threatens Sally). Instead of being the bigger person because she's the boss and the main character, she acted just as petty and spiteful as she claimed Sally was.

3. The writing style: At least once every couple of pages I ran into poor word choices or strange syntax. A couple of times, I felt possessed by the spirit of Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." I never felt like Gabriella was 24 years old because she sounded like a teenager.

4. The first chapter structure: Let's take the interesting inciting incident—that of the regenerating angels—and stick it in a flashback for no apparent reason. I almost threw my Kindle across the room when I got to that part. Not to mention how poorly the flashback was handled.

With all of that happening in the first chapter, there wasn't enough redeeming to keep me going. I quit after three chapters.

(Full review on my blog.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of the Sun.