Lisa's Reviews > Collateral

Collateral by Ellen Hopkins

Jul 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, abusive-relationship, edelweiss

Collateral was about a woman in a relationship with a soldier. It is told in Ellen Hopkins signature verse style. It was the first adult book I've read by her and I had mixed feelings.

On one hand, I can't exactly fault her writing style. It is effective and I love how you are exposed to all the feelings of the main character. On the other hand, I found myself slightly annoyed by the verse style at times. I just felt like there wasn't enough actual style to it. I don't mind when poems don't rhyme but when you write a whole book in poem format, I kind of expect it to feel like poetry. It didn't really feel like proper poetry to me. I didn't think it was bad. I just thought it was lacking that little something extra.

I think it might be that I've read a number of this author's books and I'm so used to the style that it's beginning to seem gimmicky. However, if you haven't read anything by this author, you may adore her writing style.

I will say that it was a very interesting book. The relationship between Ashley and Cole was like fire and ice. You can see how volatile they are together and all you can do is keep reading.

I don't think this would be a good choice for women who are in a relationship with a soldier. The author seems to be showing the worst possible side to this kind of relationship. Personally, I enjoyed it for this reason because I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to put themselves through this kind of pain.

It was a pretty quick read for such a thick book because of the writing style. It was good but I think I prefer her Y.A titles. If you love Ellen Hopkins or verse style novels, you'll probably love this.

(Thanks to Edelweiss for providing me with a copy in exchange for my honest opinion.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collateral.

July 27, 2012 – Started Reading