Colleen's Reviews > The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War, 1890-1914

The Proud Tower by Barbara W. Tuchman

Jul 27, 2012

bookshelves: to-read, owned
Read from August 17 to 25, 2012

There are a couple of chapters that go on a bit too long. The chapter about Strauss and the final chapter on Anarchism. The Stauss chapter is a little frustrating, because I think it should have focused much more on the overall influence of art in culture and politics, which was highly important in Germany. Instead, it spent too much time on Strauss alone and therefore seemed rather ancillary. The final chapter left me feeling in need of resolution. It was an abrupt way to the end the book. Other than that, it was delightful, particularly the first third that discussed the transition in political roles between inherited peerships versus those earned through suffrage, the overall perspectives on the purposes of war (i.e. that war was a good and noble thing), and (my favorite) the influence of technological advancement on the psyche of the populace, and the political leaders in specific. A fascinating read. Highly recommended. I'd like to give it 4.5 stars. The only reason I didn't give it 5 is because of those two chapters I mentioned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Proud Tower.