Chapter by Chapter's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 27, 2012

liked it

From one glance to the synopsis that I found on the book, I was overly excited to read Maggie Stiefvater’s latest novel. I’m a big fan of hers and after just finishing The Scorpio Races I was expecting to read something that was as breathtaking as The Scorpio Races and I have to admit I was a bit let down by The Raven Boys which is the first book in the Raven Cycle series. If you’ve read The Scorpio Races and absolutely loved it to the extent that I did—you might be able to understand why I was expecting something that was on the same level of fantasticness and found this novel coming up short.

It wasn’t bad. I feel I should just make that perfectly clear right now. It was very, very far from bad and was fairly good. And if what I say in the rest of the review is appealing to you, then you will probably fall in love with The Raven Boys. The novel itself focuses on main characters Blue Sargent and Gansey. The two characters cross paths on St. Mark’s Eve when Blue sees Gansey’s spirit meaning that he is going to die at some point in time very soon and that can only mean two things:

1. Gansey is Blue’s true love or 2. Blue killed him.

The two characters constantly find themselves meeting and disobeying her psychic mother’s orders, Blue helps Gansey and his fellow Raven Boys attempt to awaken the ley line.

I personally loved the premise in The Raven Boys. It clearly states that if Blue has her first kiss that boy will die and with a kiss usually comes love. How would you feel if you were in her shoes? Pretty strange is my best bet.

As a character I found Blue to be reminiscent of Nora from Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush personality wise. Blue was, at times, a strong character and I did enjoy the fact that she was cautious with her psychic family’s warnings about love and romance. The one thing that has me adoring Blue as a character is the way she chooses to rebel, in the novel, Blue is forbidden to be near Gansey after she saw him on St. Mark’s Eve—and like a proper teenager she completely disobeys her parental figures.

As for the Raven Boys… well I’ve never seen a cast of characters like them before in YA. I`ll just start by explaining what a Raven boy is: A Raven Boy is a student who goes to the pre-Ivy League all boys high school known as Aglionby Academy, the school emblem is a raven and… well the rest seems pretty self-explanatory. And I don’t know for the life of me how to pronounce “aglionby”.

The Raven Boys that we get introduced to in the novel are completely different for a ton of reasons. You get Noah who is as mysterious as he is a neat freak. Adam, who comes from an abusive home, is sweet and is also holding a ton of dark secrets. Ronan who can apparently make cussing sound like poetry and has quite the attitude and of course Gansey. When these four characters are around each other, the novel becomes a complete laugh riot and I mean that in a really good way. Ronan constantly gets on the nerves of all the characters and quips at just the right moments.

The relationship between Gansey, Blue and Adam is one that I think should be seen more in YA. You have an almost-love-triangle where Blue shows obvious attraction towards Adam, but gets visions about a tragic future where Gansey and her are in love. While I personally wasn’t cheering for Adam and Blue, I thought that when Gansey and Blue were together the novel became ten times more fun. When the two characters first encounter (after the events on St. Mark’s Eve) it’s while Blue is working and her and Gansey have a conversation that consists of him throwing his money about and her asking him if he believes she’s a prostitute. Hilarious!

The Raven Boys switches through the POVs of multiple characters in the novel going from Blue to Gansey and to Adam, just to name a few. I enjoyed the changes of POVs especially since we also got to see a few chapters through the eyes of the antagonist in the story that is also searching for a way to awaken the Ley Line. My only real complaint about The Raven Boys was the pacing and the detailing. In The Scorpio Races everything is fast paced and has you dying to know what happens next, whereas I found The Raven Boys to be lacking in that department. As for detailing, I also felt that I was being attacked with a barrage of details that didn’t need to necessarily be in the story.

I’d recommend The Raven Boys to fans of Maggie Stiefvater’s previous works as well as YA paranormal novels and YA romance. Considering that this is going to be a series and the ending had me seriously intrigued, I am looking forward to the Raven Cycle book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

July 27, 2012 – Shelved