Chris's Reviews > In the Country of Last Things

In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster

bookshelves: favorites

I am ridiculously impressed with this book thus far - post-apocalyptic fiction is absolutely my favorite genre, and this is such a different take on it that I haven't been able to stop reading. Typically, nearly the entire population is already dead or dying, whereas Auster has entire cities still squabbling and struggling to survive. Far more plausible. Of course, more and more people would die as fresh water becomes scarce, food unavailable in markets, sewage systems cease to function, etc. And what would you do to survive at that point? I am absolutely enthralled. Best book I've read in months - will definitely be looking for more by him after I've finished.

Post-read...
Basically said it all while I was still reading it. I never thought that I would actually feel anything but excitement and awe, given the narrative subject, but the death, corruption, and depravity of the novel are overwhelming.
This is quite possibly one of the greatest novels I have ever read. I'm disappointed to see other readers comparing this so closely to Cormac McCarthy's The Road being as the timelines are so ridiculously divergent, the worlds absolutely dissimilar, and the main characters completely irrelevent to each other. Moreover, what the fuck? What does it matter? It's a theme that has been common to science fiction and fantasy for well over fifty years now - probably even prior to the advent of the atomic bomb. It's the dystopian element that is fascinating, not the similarity to other novels. Fucking ridiculous. I hate to say it, but I can't stand it when stuff like this goes mainstream, and suddenly all the hipsters and Oprah are experts on the genre, the authors, the motivations, etc.

People need to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Country of Last Things.

Started Reading
November 15, 2008 – Shelved
November 15, 2008 – Finished Reading
December 27, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Jeffrey Schmieder My favorite dystopian novel. The world ending with a whimper, not a bang.

message 2: by Chris (last edited Jul 13, 2015 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris Jeffrey wrote: "My favorite dystopian novel. The world ending with a whimper, not a bang."

Absolutely! I only wish Auster wrote more in this particular vein - his particular take on the dystopian novel is fantastic. I love that it's not all guns-blazing and survivalism, like so, so many of the American-written dystopia novels.

DiegoCestrada This is one of the most interesting dystopias I've ever read along with Brave New World and Fahrenheit. There is a very remarkable intertextual connection between this novel and Moon Palace, has anyone noticed it?