Lisa's Reviews > The Christmas Sweater

Nov 15, 2008

bookshelves: biography-memoir, fiction-general
Recommended for: everyone.
Read in November, 2008

Some of the story is based on events in Glenn Beck's young life in a working class family that didn't have much of material value. Glenn wants the things other kids have, like a shiny new red bike for Christmas. Glenn learns that he doesn't always get the possessions he wants, but he learns about what is really important.

If anyone other than Glenn Beck had written this, it would have been predictable, sickeningly sweet, and cheesy. Glenn is able to express his feelings about the atonement and forgiveness without being preachy because the reader sees him learning these lessons. I found myself laughing out loud at parts, then crying a few minutes later.

The main character, 13, Eddie is totally believable as he acts out his anger and resentment. He could have been much more out of control and I would have believed it. I've been around teenagers all my professional life and have seen much worse.

This book is easy to read and won't take long to read--I would strongly recommend parents read this book with their kids starting around age 7. My 15 year old son saw me carrying the book and snagged it from me and read it in no time. He thought it was really good. I think it is the perfect book to read at Christmas time because everyone is so focused on "what they want." Do you really want all that stuff you will forget about in 3 weeks? Is stuff really that important? And what about the atonement? Or maybe what is the atonement?

Read this book! And listen to Glenn Beck's radio show--it is hilarious at times--and you will learn a few things too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Sweater.