Karen & Gerard's Reviews > Breakfast at Sally's: One Homeless Man's Inspirational Journey

Breakfast at Sally's by Richard LeMieux

Nov 15, 2008

bookshelves: biographies-autobiographies, inspirational, survival, thought-provoking
Recommended to Karen & Gerard by: husband
Recommended for: everyone

This is an excellent book about being homeless, written by a homeless person.  He was once a very successful, wealthy business man who even had traveled abroad but when his business failed, he lost everything.  His wife left him and his grown children didn't want anything to do with him.  All he had was his van, some clothes, an old typewriter and his dog, Willow.

It's an inside look into the homeless way of life and their community.  I will never look at the homeless in the same way again after reading this book because it showed how it could happen to anyone and how much a little help from someone can make a difference.  Richard also suffered from depression and fortunately got some help.  What stood out to me was the willingness of the homeless people to help out one another.  Richard said the other homeless people became like a family to him.

It's a very interesting book about the 18 months this man spent living in his van which he was fortunate to have.  Reading this certainly made me thankful for the things I have. The day I missed my bus one rainy, cold morning and had to wait an extra 20 minutes, I thought about the poor homeless people who slept outside the whole night and who would be outside today, looking for a place they could hang out for awhile just to warm up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Sally's.

Started Reading