Laura's Reviews > The Highlander's Reward

2043222

bookshelves: highlander-books

review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

3.5 but on the high end.

I enjoyed it. It was a sweet romance (which was the best part of this story-a very romance-centered story) and it was plenty steamy for even this Highland Hussy.

This story starts out with English Lady Arabella on her way to Stirling in Scotland to be married to an English baron named Sir Stewart. But on the way some Scottish rebels attack her people. One of the barbarians sees her fighting for her life and plucks her from her horse to sit with him. Little does Arabella know that he is not a rebel. He has saved her from the rebels.

Laird Magnus Sutherland has just delivered his sister to her soon-to-be husband when he comes upon a lady being attacked by some of the rebels. But the men who are going after Arabella’s party aren’t going to discriminate that she’s not a warrior. She is English and that’s enough for them to hate her. Magnus swoops in and saves her, but he then sets things into motion he never would have thought of before.

Even one of his own men attacks Arabella because she’s English. Magnus’ solution is to marry her, that way she’ll have his protection and his men will be honor-bound to protect her as well. It doesn’t hurt that this way he won’t have to marry the neighboring clan chief’s bratty daughter (this will, by the way, come back later to bite him in the bum).

I think this was a very romance-centered book. This is good because you don’t see too much of that any more. I truly enjoyed Arabella learning that not all Scottish men are brutal barbarians, and I liked watching Magnus fall in love with his English wife. His fall was the best because at the beginning he couldn’t understand how any man could allow a woman to mean so much to him. Ya gotta love when those kinds of heroes fall in love.

I had a small temper tantrum with this book at one point where Arabella did something so dumb I wanted to throw my nook across the room. I settled for turning it off and grabbing a glass of wine ;)
After she realized how stupid it was of her, I went back to liking the book again. Oh, and the ending was cute. I really liked Arabella’s father, even though he didn’t get much page time, he was a good character.

I hope to read more by this author, and I really think anyone who wants a romantic medieval story will love this one.

***Review copy courtesy of the author

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highlander's Reward.

July 27, 2012 – Shelved
September 4, 2012 – Started Reading
September 4, 2012 – Shelved as: highlander-books
September 5, 2012 –
page 15
September 8, 2012 –
page 15
5.77% "Aww, it's so cute when the big tough warrior thinks women are only good for one thing, and that, of course, he'd NEVER act as though he couldn't live without a woman. Ha! Can't wait for him to fall in love ;)"
September 11, 2012 –
page 30
September 30, 2012 –
page 70
September 30, 2012 –
page 100
38.46% "So she wants him, but doesn't want him. Wants to stay, wants to go. Make up your mind already!"
page 120
46.15% "The only thing I don't like is that Arabella keeps wanting to dislike Magnus so she can go home, but that's silly. She was on her way to be married anyway, So she wouldn't go home. \n She loves him and he's good to her but she is being ridiculous saying things like she doesn't fit in at Dunrobin, but everyone is nice to her."
page 120
46.15% "And now she's trying not to care for him? She's faking sleep and being stupid. I really liked this book a lot to this point"
page 166
63.85% "Ok I'm over my tantrum now. I'm back to liking the book again ;)"
page 260
100.0% "I liked this. Arabella was a bit naive for my taste but it was sweet.\n 3.5 or 4 stars"
October 3, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Nice review Laura!Wish they hadnt chopped of his head on the cover:(

Laura thanks, and I agree! ;P