Amanda's Reviews > Revealing Eden

Jul 27, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: to-read, tried-to-read-but-could-not
Recommended for: NO ONE

This is a racist piece of shit excuse for a book. I'm sorry, but I can't take a book that "turns the tables on racism" by--once again--victimizing poor, young, fragile caucasian girls and vilifying POC seriously. There is no excuse for blatant racism. The cover of this book uses blackface. One of the core concepts of this book is using blackface.

Pretty blond-haired blue-eyed white girls using blackface is NOT turning the tables on racism. Stop pretending like it is, and stop adding fuel to the fire.

The terms for POC are offensive and ill-issued. Black individuals are referred to as Coals (the image draws to mind dirty, undesirable, disposable); Asian individuals are referred to as Ambers; Latino and Hispanic individuals are referred to as Tiger's-Eyes; meanwhile, caucasians are referred to as Pearls (precious, rare, etc.). THIS IS RACISM. It's not even masked racism; it's in your face, on the page. On page nine, it shines through clear as day--our protagonist refers to a POC as "them." (Italicized, by the way.)

I am ashamed that this book is being taken seriously. I am ashamed that it's winning awards. I am ashamed that people not that much younger than me are the target market and are being exposed to this bullshit. I'm ashamed that a grown-ass woman would think that it's okay for her to write about something that she's never had any kind of experience with. I shouldn't feel the need to apologize for every white writer out there, and it shouldn't be my job. Get this shit off the market and don't let your kids read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revealing Eden.

July 27, 2012 – Shelved
July 27, 2012 – Shelved as: tried-to-read-but-could-not
February 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read

message 1: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca Take me back to the time when teenagers read books of solid merit and upstanding moral meaning; perhaps this is the time when dystopian actually meant something in the literary world, where Bradbury and Orwell and Huxley and Atwood and Heinlein and their contemporaries reigned. I'm getting quite tired with the authors who have the strongest influence over today's youth exacerbating a problem rather than attempting to navigate the terrain constructively and without a whiny, self-pitying protagonist floundering in the way.

Swoon. You are my new hero.