Val's Reviews > Anxious People

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

bookshelves: uno-challenge-reads, favorites, book-club-reads

Backman has done it again. This book was everything I was hoping it would be. His ability to interject humor into heavy subjects is nothing less than masterful. His characters come to life and I just want to hug them, slap sense into them, pinch them, punch them but also be their friend. There were so many lines from this book (especially from the interviews) that I read out loud to my husband because they were so witty.

Zara - oh goodness, I loved Zara. I love an honest and brazen character. She was definitely my favorite. Here is just one nugget: "Zara could have gone up to the real estate agent and pointed that out, if only the real estate agent hadn't been a human being, and if only Zara hadn't hated human beings. Especially when they spoke."

Even the characters I thought I wasn't going to like, I understood at the end. I think, no I KNOW, I would have enjoyed being one of the hostages.

While Backman infused humor throughout, I didn't feel like he downplayed or ridiculed the serious subjects. He just made them a little easier to digest.

This is a MUST READ in my book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anxious People.

January 19, 2021 – Shelved
97.0% "I’m floored"
February 9, 2021 – Shelved as: favorites
February 9, 2021 – Finished Reading
March 21, 2021 – Shelved as: book-club-reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael David I am glad this one worked for you, Val! Great review! I couldn't finish it (don't think I was in the right mindframe), but may go back one day.

message 2: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val Michael wrote: "I am glad this one worked for you, Val! Great review! I couldn't finish it (don't think I was in the right mindframe), but may go back one day."

I definitely understand. Nothing worse that trying to read something that is just not speaking to you at the time. Looks like you've found some other good ones though!

message 3: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Good review Val. It really is a 5 star read. I am reading Beartown also by Fredrik Backman and I can tell you that it's heading for another 5 stars from me. A truly gifted writer.

message 4: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val Thank you Rob! That one is on my list too. I want to read all the others. I read “My Grandmother Told Me To Tell You She’s Sorry a few years ago and I loved that one too.

Wendy I loved it too Val :)