Laurie's Reviews > Shadow Sight

Shadow Sight by E.J. Stevens

Jul 27, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, demons, dystopian, fantasy, fiction, kindle, mystery, paranormal, read-in-2012, young-adult, urban-fantasy, witches

Ivy Granger is a character I liked from the very beginning. She is a psychic detective operating out of the port town of Harborsmouth. Harborsmouth is teaming with a whole myriad of unusual supernatural characters. They cloak themselves in glamour and thus exist unknown, for the most part, among the “normals”. Ivy sees beneath the glamour to the real persona. She also has a gift of seeing past events when she touches something. Sometimes, unexpectedly, those visions can be debilitating; striking with vivid and paralyzing ferocity.

I am not particularly well-versed on mythology and in this book many of the creepy characters are firmly ensconced in the stories and whisperings about frightening monsters passed down through the generations. I honestly read this story more for the adventure than because of any fascination with mythology. I loved the world-building begun in this book. The secondary characters, as well as Ivy, are interesting and quirky, too. The pacing is superb, and my imagination was fully engaged throughout. E.J. has a real knack for perfectly rendered descriptions and sharp, humorous dialogues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Sight.

Started Reading