Britt Skrabanek's Reviews > Atonement

Atonement by Ian McEwan

This isn’t just a book, it’s a masterpiece.

In the never-ending abyss of the literary world, where is the exquisite, unsettling purity of love? It’s right here...Atonement.

Ian’s words mimic those of a relentless poet, driving emotions deep into the bottomless layers of the imagination, making the reader vulnerable and sympathetic–even those who are not prone to such sensitivity.

I remember seeing the film by myself at an afternoon showing in the middle of the week. I was thankful for the empty theater and silently cursing myself for not bringing any tissues. Needless to say, I was epically moved and tried to cover my tear-stained face by rushing out with my head bowed, dark sunglasses serving as my heart’s shield.

What turned my world upside down was the unabashed romance unlike any I had ever witnessed.

It made me think of the special love I have for my husband, and without him by my side in the theater that day, I desperately needed to hear his voice, to see his face, to touch him.

And finally, after too many years, I have read Atonement.

For the first time in my reading experience, I felt as if I were inside the story, the very air breathed by its characters.

I consider myself more of a fast-paced aficionado, but I savored every drop of this unexplored slowness. I appreciated Ian’s indulgent descriptions, because they created the necessary shelter for dark complexities lurking between the pages.

Half of the rich content is consumed by one monumental evening, a clever form of literary torture which strings the reader along, teasing and enticing, sealing our fate along with the gorgeously solemn characters.

As a writer, I am enamored with Ian’s work.

His insight into the beautifully obsessive mind of a novelist–forever plotting, forever unsatisfied–made me smirk. Oh, how sweet it is to slave away at the written word, bound eternally by exasperation and gratitude.

A writer can only hope that his or her creative turmoil will ever touch the heart of a reader like the untouchable grace of Atonement.

“Wasn't writing a kind of soaring, an achievable form of flight, of fancy, of the imagination?”

Britt Skrabanek

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atonement.

Quotes Britt Liked

page 220
October 7, 2012 –
page 280
October 7, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Sherrie Miranda I agree with you as far as the movie goes. But the book, not so much. I have read other books by this author & enjoyed them more. The problem is that the narrator did such a horrible thing, it makes it hard to look at the world through her eyes.
Also, the beginning of the story is extremely boring: An overconfident prepubescent teen trying to get the other spoiled British children to act out her story.
If only we could have Rea the story from one of the two lovers' points of view, but alas, we can't because they are dead.
So sad.
Sherrie Miranda's historically based, coming of age, Adventure novel “Secrets & Lies in El Salvador” is about an American girl in war-torn El Salvador:
Her husband made a video for her novel. He wrote the song too: