Eric_W's Reviews > Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America

Zephyr by Henry Kisor

Nov 15, 2008

bookshelves: trains

I love trains! I have taken almost every Amtrak train in the country and many in Europe. Kisor writes about taking the California Zephyr and his experiences as a deaf person. If you ever get a chance to take this train, do it. It travels over two mountain ranges and through some of the most magnificent scenery in the world. There is nothing better than listening to a book and watching gorgeous scenery go by.

In fact, as I write this, I am traveling east on the California Zephyr through one of the beautiful red canyons in this area, (this one named after Dr. Wallace Debeck, the only physician practicing between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction in the territory of the Yutte Indians) climbing into the Rocky Mountains out of Grand Junction, Colorado on what is the most gorgeous scenic train trip in the United States. The train follows the Colorado River for about two hundred miles along the edges of cliffs as it climbs to the Moffit Tunnel at the highest point of any railroad in the United States at some 9,000 feet. My laptop is playing Sibelius Symphony #5 into earphones as I type, or listen to a recorded book on CD compressed to MP3 format so I can squeeze an entire book into a series of files on the laptop.

Next to me is a stack of books brought along for nighttime or non-scenic desert. A can of Coke is within easy reach. The only thing missing is a grand thunderstorm or blizzard and wireless access to the Internet. I suppose I could simulate the weather on the laptop. Wonderful stuff, technology. It just gets better and better.

This should be a must trip for everyone. You come away with extraordinary awe for what the pioneers accomplished. We have a terrific book written about this trip. It just doesn't get any better than this. If I get lucky we'll run really late and get some extra time for free.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zephyr.

Finished Reading
November 15, 2008 – Shelved
July 5, 2009 – Shelved as: trains

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Oh, yes. I feel as though I spent my childhood on the Zephyr. 9 trips from San Francisco to Chicago or Chicago to San Francisco by the time I was 10. Age 10 was my last trip, though I didn't know it at the time. I loved that train so much. The scenery was amazing, the whole experience was.