Ted's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

bookshelves: lit-canadian, global-warming, sci-fi, beach-fun-fiction, have, dystopia, postmodern-lit

This work isn't perfect, there are the odd little details here and there which don't ring true, etc etc. I noted such things once and awhile as I read, but they didn't bother me much. The story is such a page-turner, that it's easy to overlook the minor flaws I thought were present. (Heck, maybe they were only present in my skull.)

The book enlarges the vision begun in Oryx and Crake. I don't think one would need to read that first, but why wouldn't you? True, I did think this book was better than the first - there are more characters in Flood than in Oryx, and this leads, in my opinion, to a greater depth to the story. But some of this depth wouldn't be as deep, without the first book.

Anyway, the biggest problem with the so-called MaddAddam trilogy is that the third book has not yet been written by Ms. Atwood! (No longer a problem!) That is was a real bummer! What am was I supposed to do, read some other book by her? Is this a plot by Ms. Atwood and her publisher(s)? (If so, it might work, in my case.)

Well, by now the last book in the trilogy, Maddaddam, has been published, and read by me. It was great.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Previous review: Life of Pi
Next review: Absalom, Absalom!
More recent review: The Fall

Previous library review: Oryx and Crake
Next library review: MaddAddam

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

July 27, 2012 – Shelved
July 6, 2013 – Shelved as: beach-fun-fiction
September 5, 2013 – Shelved as: have
December 6, 2015 – Shelved as: dystopia
February 20, 2016 – Shelved as: postmodern-lit

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Cecily The indefinite wait for the third is indeed annoying. :(

message 2: by Ted (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ted I believe I saw on her web site a while ago that it is to be published this year, maybe in the summer?

message 3: by Cecily (last edited Feb 19, 2013 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cecily Thanks. I couldn't spot anything on her website just now, but Amazon.co.uk lists MaddAdam with a release date of October 2013. Let's hope that's correct.

message 4: by Ted (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ted These two books are the only ones I've read by Ms Atwood. I have others by her on my to-read shelf though (I think!), and I hope I get to some of them.

message 5: by Cecily (last edited Jun 16, 2013 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cecily The Handmaid's Tale is probably her best known (partly because it was filmed), and it's another dystopian/speculative fiction one, so may be a good one to try.

message 6: by Ted (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ted I added it, Cecily. Thanks.

I saw that quite a few of my friends didn't think too highly of it, but a lot more did. I'll be interested to read it and then see whose reviews I agree more with. (My bet would be that I'll agree with the "yeas".)

Sonja Trbojevic Waiting eagerly for #3

message 8: by Ted (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ted #3 is almost here. I have it on order, it should come 9/2, probably more likely 9/3. Can't wait!

message 9: by Lit Bug (new) - added it

Lit Bug If you'd like to read any of her non-fiction, you could try Curious Pursuits - some bits of it were really interesting, some comparatively dull - don't remember much since I read it long ago...