Jenn(ifer)'s Reviews > Editorial

Editorial by Arthur  Graham

Jul 27, 2012

bookshelves: giggles, read-in-2012, you-should-read-this, my-reviews-that-dont-suck, awesomely-weird

Why Arthur Graham, I do believe I’m blushing!

I tell you, when you have to listen to depressing war stories or schizophrenic ramblings day after day, it’s so refreshing to get your hands on something that makes you laugh. Not little chuckle laughter (although there are plenty of chuckles to be had). No, I’m talking about snarfing coffee all over your monitor laughter. Cackling on public transit laughter. The kind of laughter that makes your tummy hurt. Oh yes folks, it’s very funny. That’s if you don’t mind a little filth in you humor. Me? I prefer it. A little filth, a little mind-fuckery; it’s an ace in the hole! And did I mention it’s clever? Very clever indeed.

This novella has a little bit of Vonnegut-esque quirk (complete with Breakfast of Champions style pointed illustrations) paired with some Pynchonian perversion, sprinkled with a bit of Tom Robbins wit for good measure, told in a voice that is all Arthur Graham.

Just go read it already.

****

Oh shit! I forgot to add the soundtrack: Ouroboros! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slXpsC...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Editorial.

July 27, 2012 – Started Reading
July 27, 2012 – Shelved
July 27, 2012 – Shelved as: giggles
July 27, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
July 27, 2012 – Shelved as: you-should-read-this
July 27, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 9, 2013 – Shelved as: my-reviews-that-dont-suck
February 6, 2013 – Shelved as: awesomely-weird

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason You mean like these?

Jenn(ifer) YES! I'm like a little kid; add some illustrations, I'm SOLD!

Jenn(ifer) it's okay if you don't like the Mars Volta, Jason. We can't always be twinsies.

message 4: by Jenn(ifer) (last edited Jul 27, 2012 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn(ifer) Because he's so pretty?

(can't get it to post as an image)

Jenn(ifer) you have great taste my friend!

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason I only comment when I like a song you post. Otherwise, I keep my mouth shut.

hahah, just kidding. I actually didn't notice it.

But seriously, I'm not a huge mars volta fan. Weird, right?

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason wait i'm confused by that Mars person on your thread because I am following her. Is that Mariel? I am sooooo confused.

Jenn(ifer) Jason wrote: "I only comment when I like a song you post. Otherwise, I keep my mouth shut.

hahah, just kidding. I actually didn't notice it.

But seriously, I'm not a huge mars volta fan. Weird, right?"

I just added it. It wasn't there when you read the review. It does not surprise me in the least that you do not like The Mars Volta. No, not weird.

Jenn(ifer) Nick wrote: "You like The Mars Volta??"

silly question

Jenn(ifer) Jason wrote: "wait i'm confused by that Mars person on your thread because I am following her. Is that Mariel? I am sooooo confused."

She likes to change things up.

Jenn(ifer) Nick wrote: "Jenn(ifer) wrote: "Nick wrote: "You like The Mars Volta??"

silly question"

*bows down before you*"

sorry, had to!

Jenn(ifer) totally DID!

Shamus McCarty I'd never heard of "The Mars Volta" till I read this. Clicked the link, uhhhh, this song is the shiz! Gonna have to check out some more of these guys.

message 14: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark This sounds like my eighth grade Reading course book!

Jenn(ifer) Etienne wrote: "I'd never heard of "The Mars Volta" till I read this. Clicked the link, uhhhh, this song is the shiz! Gonna have to check out some more of these guys."

Glad you liked it! Not many people have heard of them honestly.

Jenn(ifer) Mark wrote: "This sounds like my eighth grade Reading course book!

The Mars Volta has some nice moments band-wise, but dude's vokills, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, noooooooooo"

You will get a kick out of this book, Mark.

Jenn(ifer) Mark wrote: "This sounds like my eighth grade Reading course book!

message 18: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Jenn(ifer) wrote: "and I don't blame you for not liking TMV... I have to be in the mood to listen to them myself "

Were you a fan of At The Drive-In? My college roommate liked them, but I could never tell if he liked them-like them of if he was tryin to be hip :D There are certain timbres of voice that go straight into my ear and ever so lightly knife at the ear drum. This guy and whats-er-name-Titanic-lady both do that!

Jenn(ifer) you'd probably hate this guy too:

message 20: by s.p (new)

s.p Damn, this is a wonderful review. So direct and contained and really opens wide the ideas behind what makes a good uproarious book great. Nice work yo!

Annnnnd Mars Volta, nice. I saw them once. They were walking offstage as I walked into the building. So basically I saw their backs. Thanks Detroit traffic. But I still saw the main act. And that is the entire story.

Jenn(ifer) thanks college boy!

I had a similar experience with Stars once. Caught the last bit of their last song when they opened for Death Cab.

message 22: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Didn't know you'd commented here, Jenn. Damn you, notifications!! Eeehh, yeah. Not a fan of this feller's voice. But the music I like! I'll tell ya who this dude sounds like, in a much more exaggerated way:

Ahh, I love dis song :)

Jenn(ifer) I do love Tom Verlaine.

message 24: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark The one of the best Television reviews I've read closed by saying, "Plus, the guy's got the best cheekbones in rock music."

message 25: by s.p (new)

s.p Thought you'd want to listen to some funny schizophrenics for a bit:

Jenn(ifer) You have no idea how deep my love of Bob goes. Baby steps!

message 27: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark The sonuvabitch -- She never says that!

message 28: by s.p (new)

s.p There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't.

message 29: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma s.penkevich wrote: "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't."

Song sung blew.

Jenn(ifer) s.penkevich wrote: "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't."

I'm sailing! I'm a sailor! I sail!

Jenn(ifer) Mike wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't."

Song sung blew."

te he... took me a minute ;)

message 32: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark I'll feed im till his belly is fat. And then I'll eat im, Bob!

message 33: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma Jenn(ifer) wrote: "Mike wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't."

Song sung blew."

te he... took me a minute ;)"

It was a tad obscure, and involved a willingness to reveal a familiarity with ND's ouvre.