E.A.'s Reviews > Wendy, Darling

Wendy, Darling by A.C. Wise

20325359

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, horror-monsters-ghosts, magic, novel, portal-fantasy

Thanks to NetGalley and Titan Books for the free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

A.C. Wise does not flinch in this brutal and feminist take on Neverland and what happened after for Wendy Darling. She explores the consequences of capturing Peter Pan's attention and the disenfranchisement of women who stepped out of line or failed to meet male expectations in the early 20th century.

I've been reading A.C. Wise's short fiction here and there for a few years, and was really excited to sink my teeth into a whole novel, especially a female-centric take on the Peter Pan mythos. I recently re-watched Hook, and as much as I love the twists that film takes, as much as I appreciate a fathers-and-sons story, there are ladies in this sandbox, too, and they are often marginalized and underutilized when writers decide to play with Pan.

This was not an easy book to read. It was an adventure, and it was satisfying, but it was not fun. It was a pleasure to arrive at Wendy's self-actualization and triumph, but difficult to follow her through her valley of despair along the way. While Wise doesn't flinch, she still handles with care. She makes interesting rather than easy choices, and goes for nuance over cliché. Native and queer characters and experiences are given places of prominence, and the darkness at the heart of Peter Pan is at the center rather than the edges, interrogated rather than left to the subtext.

I don't want to give spoilers, so I'll give a warning instead: read this book only if you're prepared for some darkness and to be challenged. The rewards are worth the risk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wendy, Darling.

January 18, 2021 – Shelved