Alice Franklin's Reviews > The Runaway Debutante: A Victorian Romance

The Runaway Debutante by Elizabeth Harmon

F 50x66

Read 2 times

***** Love Against All Odds

Constance and Alex – not just a romance, but truly a story of star-crossed lovers throughout the worst hardships of the Victorian world – life on the streets, living with and as pickpockets to survive, a crime lord/Fagin-type character, his heavies, a brothel, a loathsome upper class suitor, murder charges, Newgate prison. Like an in-depth look at the Victorian London of Dickens and Oliver Twist – and yet this is just the first part - there is so so much more!

I was totally engaged and involved with the two main characters. Constance is independent, determined and has strength beyond what she realises, as she proves to herself and others again and again through the events triggered by her impulsive decision at the Crystal Palace exhibition. Alex/Black is steadfast, strong, kindly and shows Constance not only how to survive but how to live and believe in herself. They are well matched and slowly grow together at the start, and by the second part I was willing them so hard to be together - some how, any how!

The book is a first love and second chance romance all in one. Its emotional depth and plot complexity are delivered with a light touch and clear delineation of many interesting or obnoxious characters. It doesn't shy away from showing difficult, hard situations for both Constance and Alex, and the consequences of their own decisions or others' manipulations. It contains such a range of events and emotional highs and lows that I was leaking tears at times without even realising – both in sorrow and joy.

I loved this book, so much so that I immediately (at about 2.00 am!) wanted to discuss it with someone else, and talk about Alex and Constance - the details of their love, relationship, decisions and reactions, and all the other people involved (for good or bad) in their lives. And I keep on remembering and wanting to discuss things every time I think about it - about the highest accolade I can give!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runaway Debutante.

Finished Reading