willaful's Reviews > Within Reach

Within Reach by Sarah Mayberry

bookshelves: arc-gift-or-netgalley, free-to-be-a-family, o-performer-artist-creative, rebecca-syndrome, sexy-beta
Recommended for: fans of friends to lovers stories

In Mayberry's last book, Her Best Worst Mistake, I thought the heroine's guilt about hooking up with the guy her best friend had dumped was overdone. This book also features a guilt-ridden heroine, but you really can't blame her, since in this case the best friend was a beloved wife who died much too young.

Angie is doing her best to fill the hole left when her friend Billie died, leaving behind a devastated husband and two young children. She and Michael had never been particularly close, but now they lean on each other for support. But as the haze of grief lifts, they begin to notice each other in a new -- and mutually horrifying -- way. Both are convinced that anything happening between them would be a betrayal -- and that of course, Michael could never love anyone but Billie.

The tone of this story is appropriately low-key, since every main character in it is grieving a loss, yet it's also very passionate. The tension and awareness between Michael and Angie builds in a compellingly visceral, sensory-laden way. But there's no sense that it's just the lure of the forbidden drawing them together, because they are also genuinely friends. The ending is more realistic than grandly romantic, yet left me in no doubt that Angie and Michael will be a happy, loving couple.

(reviewed from e-arc provided by netGalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Within Reach.

Quotes willaful Liked

Sarah Mayberry
“She ate toast in bed, then reread a favorite book, taking comfort from a story where she knew the outcome would be good and just and right.”
Sarah Mayberry, Within Reach

July 26, 2012 – Started Reading
July 26, 2012 – Shelved
July 26, 2012 –
50.0% "My second sad Harlequin in a row, what gives?"
July 27, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read I swear I think I've read this but can't find a transaction on PBS. If it's the same book tho, it was good. Very angsty.

willaful AFAIK, it's brand new, not even out yet. Maybe she wrote another with a similar theme?

message 3: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read Maybe that's it, or another author. Because I'm almost positive I've read this "story" before.