Amy Reade's Reviews > Life is Like a Bowl of Cherries

Life is Like a Bowl of Cherries by Sally Cronin

I figured that if this book was anywhere near as good as Ms. Cronin's last book, I would love it. And I did. It's full of poetry that is as beautiful as it is evocative, as well as short stories that are simultaneously touching, joyful, inspirational, heartwarming, and instructive.

One of the stories, The Weekly Shopping, though presented as a funny and knowing tale, is almost chilling in its warning about the machines we trust with our personal information. I also especially loved The Florist, about a woman who, though she has a comfortable life with her cat, knows she's missing something. I loved Gaffer Tape, which is the story of a woman who finally has the courage to leave her abusive husband. The way she does it is priceless.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good story about people's humanity and the things that draw us together. It's a book I can see myself reading again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life is Like a Bowl of Cherries.

January 17, 2021 – Started Reading
January 17, 2021 – Shelved
January 19, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Cronin Thanks very much Amy and so pleased you enjoyed. You highlight a couple of personal favourites...much appreciated.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Reade Sally wrote: "Thanks very much Amy and so pleased you enjoyed. You highlight a couple of personal favourites...much appreciated."

From reading other reviews, it seems I'm not alone in my thoughts about The Weekly Shopping! What a terrific idea for a story.

Claire Fullerton Amy, great review! You're right on it!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Reade Claire wrote: "Amy, great review! You're right on it!"

Thank you, Claire! Your review of the book was just gorgeous.

Claire Fullerton Thank you so much, Amy!

Alex Craigie Wonderful review! I have this book on my Kindle and intend to read it soon. I loved Sally's 'Sam, a Shaggy Dog Story' and it sounds like this is going to be a worthy follow-up!

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Reade Alex wrote: "Wonderful review! I have this book on my Kindle and intend to read it soon. I loved Sally's 'Sam, a Shaggy Dog Story' and it sounds like this is going to be a worthy follow-up!"

I just know you're going to enjoy it, Alex. These stories are delightful and heartwarming.