The Lit Bitch's Reviews > On the Way to the Wedding

On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn

Well folks here we have it—my final review of the last Bridgerton novel! I can’t believe I have finally reached the end of the series. I am so sad but yet at the same time so satisfied with how the series wrapped up. I was actually glad that we ended the series with Gregory’s story rather than Hyacinth’s, as I felt that Gregory’s story had a bit more action and romance to recommend itself.

Gregory always seemed far removed from the other Bridgerton siblings. Not in the same way that Francesca was but having so many years between him and his other brothers left him adrift in a sea of sisters. It made me wonder if he was going to be more romantic than the others and I was pleasantly surprised that he was.

I tried to savor this one a little more than the other books in the series so it took me a little longer to finish this one than I was expecting, but that was fine by me because I felt like I could slow down and appreciate the romance and the action more than I did in the former books. While this wasn’t my fav of the series, it was a wonderful read and I really enjoyed it!

Gregory is truly romantic which is so different than his brothers. He wants to fall in love and wants to make grand gestures! He isn’t like Anthony, Benedict, or Colin who want to avoid marriage like the plague—Gregory wants to get married and fall in love. In fact he can hardly wait! I thought that was a fun approach because all the other Bridgerton brothers took so much convincing to accept the fact that they are in love where as Gregory didn’t and I thought that left room for more action and intrigue. Most of the other books (including the sisters) didn’t really have much in the way of separate plots. The plots were mostly meeting, falling in love, getting past issues, HEA. This book replaced ‘get past issues’ with ‘solve mystery’. Not like murder mystery but suss out family secrets. The plot is still very much a romance, but it had this fun little separate component that made it a little different from the other books.

I could personally have done without the Hermione storyline early on in the book but it was also the catalyst to future events and showed how much Gregory wanted to fall in love, but for me it didn’t add as much as I think it was trying to—if that makes sense. In the grand scheme of things, this wasn’t a huge deal or distraction from the plot though. Gregory and Lucy had a lot of chemistry together too. Lucy was almost a younger version of Kate in the earlier books, but was still her own person. I thought that once they recognized their attraction for one another it was charming, sweet, and perhaps not as hot as some of the other romances, but satisfying all the same.

This book was less steamy than some of the other books in my opinion, which was fine but surprising in some ways. I liked the troupe (woman engaged to another man who she doesn’t love) and I thought that Quinn could have really dove right in and made Gregory’s story a lot more steamy, but in the end I liked that she pivoted to more tender romance with a little heat thrown in. Over all it was a beautiful romance and a lovely story with great chemistry. Finding out about Lucy and her family’s past was interesting and a new twist in the overall plot. This book fell firmly in the middle of my Bridgerton hierarchy and I thoroughly enjoyed this final installment!

See my full review here
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Way to the Wedding.

January 17, 2021 – Started Reading