Krista the Krazy Kataloguer's Reviews > Martin de Porres: The Rose in the Desert

Martin de Porres by Gary D. Schmidt

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: read-biography, read-childrens-books, read-philosophy-religion

I had never heard of this fellow until I read this book. Martin was the son of a black slave woman and a Spanish royal. At first he lived with in poverty with his mother and sister in Lima, Peru, and was looked down upon; then his father took the two children to live with him in Ecuador. Eventually Martin found himself back in Lima where he began studying to become a doctor. Martin was a gentle man who had a gift for healing animals and people alike. The stories about him remind me of St. Francis of Assisi. He eventually joined a monastery where he lived until his death in 1639. A note at the back of the book states that he was made a saint in 1962, and was the first black saint in the Americas. Here's another person I wish I could have met!

I normally dislike David Diaz's artwork, but in this book his illustrations enhance the text beautifully. They almost look like stained glass, with dark outlines filled in with rich colors. I could look at the pictures again and again.

I'm so glad that authors are writing books like this so that children can learn about all the wonderful people from minority cultures throughout history. I wish I'd had books like this when I was in school! Highly recommended!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Martin de Porres.

July 26, 2012 – Shelved