Kirsty Stanley's Reviews > Siri, Who Am I?

Siri, Who Am I? by Sam Tschida

5208770

bookshelves: arcs, own-printed-copy, read-in-2020

Siri, Who am I? by Sam Tschida is a modern mash up of mystery and romance with a dash of social commentary, and it was a lot of fun. Protagonist Mia wakes from a coma with amnesia and has to piece together her life from her cracked mobile phone. She remembers modern pop culture references but not who she is, not unusual in trauma. She soon discovers that the glossy filtered snaps from her Instagram may not display the truth and by the end she has a choice to make: between making her photos her reality, accepting the truth, or wiping the social media slate clear and starting again. Which will she choose?

It’s interesting reading other reviews and in particular the ones that stand out as not liking Mia therefore not enjoying the book. This idea that female characters have to be likeable to make a story enjoyable grates me and I enjoyed Mia’s personality rehabilitation. Is she perfect at any point during the story? No. Are any of us? Again. No. But does she develop over the course of the story. Yes.

One of the film references the character makes is to the Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell classic Overboard (I love this film) and I think that is an excellent comparison. This is #Overboard for Millennials. This has been optioned for film by a major Hollywood studio see my dream casting below.

Dream Casting

Mia - Peyton List
Crystal - Zendaya
JP - Timothée Chalamet
Max - Alfred Enoch
Kobra - Jared Abrahamson
Jules - Freddie Stroma

Thank you to Stephen and Quirk for the gifted copy for the purposes of an honest review and do check out all the posts on #bookstagram using the #siriwhoami (This has also been posted on my blog).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siri, Who Am I?.

January 15, 2021 – Started Reading