Amanda's Reviews > The Sweetest Dark

F 50x66
Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: 2013-releases
Read from July 26 to 30, 2012

It's hard for me to say no to a Victorian-period novel, especially one with a gorgeous cover like this. Combine that with Libba Bray connections and a compelling quote and I was hooked. I had to try this book. And, for the most part, I felt like it delivered (though I admit, it does seem like much of what's in here has been done before).

In England 1915, young Lora has always known that she's difference from those around here. She hears songs that no one can here, she hears voices in her mind, she has strange yet oddly prophetic dreams and she knows how important it is to hide her abilities. After she's sent off to an elite boarding school, Lora finds herself in a gorgeous gothic castle where she meets two boys -one who will open the door to her future, one who threatens to destroy her future.

From the very first page, I was hooked. Author Shana Abe has an incredible writing style that's lush and romantic, yet tinged with an eerie and unsettling sense. Almost like the words are haunted with some dark past behind then that the reader can't quite touch. Through the unexpected and riveting opening, Abe was able to build a spellbinding atmosphere that offered a unique level to this book and kept me riveted to every page.

Aside from the incredible writing and atmosphere, other elements of the book felt a little weak to me -probably because these eerie undertones were so strong and so well done. The characters were just okay -they didn't really stick out, but they didn't really fade into the background either. The plot was sadly a little predictable seemingly well-trodden, but the book does deliver exactly what the blurb promises: a romantic Victorian historical in the vein of Bray and Kate with a supernatural element. And that supernatural element was really compelling and very well depicted -it didn't feel cheesy or absurd, and it was one of the more original aspects of the book.

Which brings me to my one main beef with this book: it's not that original. I've read this story before. Several times, but in a somewhat different setting. But, overall, this book is exactly what someone would expect based on the blurb. A solid and haunting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetest Dark.