Keilani Ludlow's Reviews > Sky Dragons

Sky Dragons by Anne McCaffrey

U 50x66
Jul 26, 2012

it was ok

Someone is going to bash me for this one so if you're not conservative, probably better just move on to another review.

Ugh. I have been a long time fan of Anne McCaffery. I stumbled upon Dragonsinger years and years ago and was hooked. I hate to say anything negative, especially as she died in the last year, but I just can't give this book a good review. I've felt like her books have really gone downhill in the last decade, and her's books with her son Todd and/or his books are just not that great. This one put the nail in the coffin and I'm done with the series.

This grouping of recent books by her and her son and the ones solely by her son seem to be getting away from the great story telling and have determined to set some sort of social movement toward communal living and promoting the gay lifestyle. If you want to be gay, fine, but I don't want to read about it. I'm not going to yell or throw stuff in your yard, I'm not going to try to keep you from getting housing or jobs, but I don't want to read about your love life either. This series has had too much focus on both heterosexual partner swapping, gay and semi-gay relationships, and the complete redefining of a family as any group of people that live in proximity. Not true. I didn't start this series to be indoctrinated into a new social structure, I just wanted to read about dragons.

Its the sad ending of a once great series. More will be written, but I'm definitely done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sky Dragons.

message 1: by Ralph (new)

Ralph Brew I'm glad that the same sex partnering element of perm dragonriders was being explored, Anne was always too coy about it. The matter sat there in the background but was just brushed over. However Todd McCaffrey's attempts are just plain bad. As I said above in a review comment, he couldn't string a coherent narrative together to save his own wherhide. RIP Anne. Go back to computer programming Todd.

K.l. the same sex relations didn't trouble me, but I found that there WAS too much focus on sex in general, especially in the latest 'trilogy' (?!?) We want to read about the dragons and Thread dammit... not multiple partners etc. We all know Weyr ways are different, but there is no need to make it the focal point of the stories!

Keilani Ludlow Kirsten wrote: "the same sex relations didn't trouble me, but I found that there WAS too much focus on sex in general, especially in the latest 'trilogy' (?!?) We want to read about the dragons and Thread dammit....."

I agree. It's become a social theory series more than a dragon series. Bummer.

message 4: by Justine (new)

Justine I'm as disappointed with the newer books as many of you seem to be, but I would just love a definition of "semi-gay." Seriously?

Keilani Ludlow Semi-gay because I wasn't exactly sure how to describe some of the relationships. Mostly hetero but sort of more-friendly-than-normal with another female but the descriptions are suggestively vague. Thus, "semi-gay" because either there isn't vocabulary to describe it or I just don't know what the vocabulary is.

Keilani Ludlow Justine wrote: "I'm as disappointed with the newer books as many of you seem to be, but I would just love a definition of "semi-gay." Seriously?"

Guess I commented instead of replying last time. Bother. My botched attempt at a reply as is follows - Semi-gay because I wasn't exactly sure how to describe some of the relationships. Mostly hetero but sort of more-friendly-than-normal with another female but the descriptions are suggestively vague. Thus, "semi-gay" because either there isn't vocabulary to describe it or I just don't know what the vocabulary is.