Lee's Reviews > Untangling My Chopsticks: A Culinary Sojourn in Kyoto

Untangling My Chopsticks by Victoria Abbott Riccardi
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Untangling My Chopsticks.

November 14, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 4, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011-reads
March 4, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy I've marked this TBR because Kyoto is definitely one of the places we want to visit while living here!

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee Oh Wendy, you are lucky!!!!!!!!
It's the place I most want to visit in Japan.

message 3: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Messina I ate at that tofu restaurant in Kyoto that was founded around 350 years ago to serve Buddhist monks. It was amazing! (And really good freshly-made tofu.)

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee Ooooh, I'm so jealous! I will go one day.

I got a little turned off while reading this book when I read about the author eating and enjoying the cruncy, little sparrow heads.

message 5: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Messina Yes, I noticed that you weren't too enthused about this book! I was actually a little disappointed at first in Kyoto because it's a pretty big city and was much more urban than I anticipated--so that the temples were all next to modern high-rise buildings. But once I got over that, it was wonderful. And the Buddhist tofu restaurant(which was vegan, of course --no sparrow heads!), was high on my list of things I wanted to do in Japan--and it lived up to my expectations. And since it's been there for 350 years, it will still be there when you eventually get to Japan, Lee!

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee Yay! It sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I had a book out from the library last year called The Enlightened Kitchen: Fresh Vegetable Dishes from the Temples of Japan which sparked my interest in Japanese Temple Cuisine. I should check it out again.