Zoe Rider's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

F 50x66
Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: 07-july, finished-2012, kindle
Read in July, 2012

The earth's rotation has suddenly started to slow. Each day brings a longer day. Yet life goes on.

Like Jack Womack's Random Acts of Senseless Violence and Jean Hegland's Into the Forest, "The Age of Miracles" is told from the point of view of a young girl--in this case 11/12-year-old Julia. Despite the age of the narrator, I wouldn't quite call "The Age of Miracles" young adult (and even less so "Random Acts" or "Into the Forest"--especially "Random Acts").

"The Age of Miracles" differs from typical post-apocalyptic YA in that Julia doesn't kick any ass. She doesn't save anyone, she's not a Heroine: she's just a regular kid, a girl with a painful crush on a neighborhood boy, an only child whose best friend up and decided to be best friends with someone else, a sixth-grader with an anxious mother and an imperfect father.

She's lonely and trying to find her way through a regular life under increasingly irregular circumstances--just like everyone else on the steadily slowing planet.

The Hunger Games, Pure, Uglies--those books are fun reads--but what I really love are "the world as we know it is coming to an end, yet life goes on" stories, like "The Age of Miracles," "Random Acts of Senseless Violence" and "Into the Forest."

I read "The Age of Miracles" compulsively, eager to find out what became of both the world and Julia. The writing was wonderful. The end was...what it had to be. I look forward to Karen Thompson Walker's future books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

07/29/2012 page 73