Amy Sauder's Reviews > Dangerous Boy

Dangerous Boy by Mandy Hubbard

Jul 26, 2012

liked it

I received an ARC of this book that I am so grateful for and pleased to have won. I entered the drawing because it was described as a modern retelling of the Jekyll & Hyde story. My main concern with this book was that it would be too high-school romance for my liking. And I will say, now that I have read it, that there was alot of very high-schooler moments that I rolled my eyes at. The infatuation and obsession with a boyfriend or girlfriend that the kid hasn't known or been with very long is a little silly, just like in real life. Also, the drama and freak-outs over some events that do not warrant quite as big a big freak-out is very true to high-school life.

I still think this book was enjoyable, however. Despite the constant drama, I found myself wanting to finish the book. Clues as to what is happening are scattered throughout the story which builds up the excitement. Although I technically knew the ending, because I knew it was a retelling of Jekyll&Hyde, the end of the story still held pleasant suprises for me. Although I feel this story would have been better marketed as a psychological thriller without the giveaway of the ending by saying it's a Jekyll&Hyde story, I know that I would not have started reading the book, certainly not finished the book, if I hadn't known it was a Jekyll and Hyde scenario. So my overall decision on this book is that it is a good high school read; and if the high school drama can be endured, others may enjoy the story as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Boy.