Katie's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: did-not-finish

Yeaaaah. I got to 20% and that was enough for me. The new Kindles have a "time to read" feature that tells you how long it'll take you to finish a book and this told me I still had 3 1/2 hours left. I think that was pretty off, based on how long it took me to read the first 20%, but it reinforced the idea that life is too short for books I'm not enjoying!

Do you ever read books, contemporary books, not ones with supernatural or fantastical elements and go, "I don't understand this." That was this book for me. I understood why Abby was suspicious of Travis, but her reaction to him was so over the top and so was his and ugh. I just didn't get it.

Also, this was kind of insta-friendship!!!! All of sudden, they were BFFs and I didn't know when or how that happened.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

10/09/2012
11.0% "I was in the mood for something set in college, so decided to go ahead and give this a try. Not sure I like the narrator much. She seems pretty judgmental."

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 20: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie New adult available as a "read now" on NetGalley until August 18. Not entirely sure about the premise, but the Dear Author review makes me think it COULD work for me, since some of my favorite ships have had similar problematic aspects.

message 19: by steph (new)

steph Hhhhhmmmmm....

message 18: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Heh. Pretty much my reaction. But I think I've talked myself into being excited to give it a try.

message 17: by Edna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Edna I know I said I thought you wouldn't finish it but I figured you'd get further than this. You didn't even get to the crazy Vegas card shark mob part. Haha.

message 16: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Hahaha, yeeeeeeah, I went ahead and went some of the more spoiler-y reviews and WHAT. If the relationship wasn't so disturbing, I could see it being a fun, crack-y read. As is, yeeeeah. Like I said on Twitter, need to shake it off! I didn't actually mind it THAT much while reading, but now that I've put it down, it's really bugging me.

message 15: by Edna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Edna I KNOW! It went on a completely out there path and all the while I kept thinking WTF am I reading? LOL. But good for you, you've saved some time. While me, I wasted mine reading the whole thing. SMH.

message 14: by Ami (new)

Ami Off topic: That "time to read" feature -- is it only available in new Kindle (Kindle white?). Or could the old Kindle (keyboard 3G) has it too by downloading the new software or sth?

message 13: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Enda, haha! I've wasted plenty of time reading others books. Sometimes I feel like I should only bother to finish the REALLY REALLY god ones, lol.

Ami, I THINK it's only available for the new Kindle, but maybe they'll release an update at some point?

message 12: by Cait (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cait I think I have this on my to-read shelf & I'm interested to start because reviews are either 5 or 1 stars

message 11: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie YES. That's why I kind of had to read it, despite Edna's warnings, LOL. It does have potential, but it just made me really, really uncomfortable. And, from what I understand, it ends up taking the bad boy/possessive boyfriend trope to the EXTREME.

Anyway, I am curious to know what you think!

message 10: by Cait (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cait Yeah, I feel like I want to read it just to see how horrible it is. I just got a copy so we'll see. I'm really sensitive to the possessive boyfriend trope (not to a Trigger Warning level, just, I lived that & ugh shivers all over). I'm interested in a concerned way, I guess?

message 9: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie I didn't get to the really bad parts, but the reviews mention some pretty awful parts (read the first GoodReads review). I just hate that a lot of these new adults seem pretty problematic. The next article bashing new adult should talk about THAT. :(

Cait YES. New Adult is obviously going to be more mature than YA, but that seems to be going hand in hand with way DARKER material & it's very rarely done well. I think because it's still growing in popularity the books are all over the place, hopefully that'll settle down a bit.

THAT BEING SAID, this sort of book is always popular(ish) because it's the whole "He's so ~protective, he just loves me soooo much he can't bear me being with anyone else" thing. But you know how that ends in real life? WITH SPOUSAL HOMICIDE. ughhhh. I would love to see a book that takes a situation like this (creepy abusive controlling relationship) and blatantly shows how it's wrong. I feel like authors shy away from that still. Which: no. so yes, a lot of new adult romances are problematic, and I don't think that will change massively any time soon.

message 7: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie I would love to see a book that takes a situation like this (creepy abusive controlling relationship) and blatantly shows how it's wrong

Yeah, I was just thinking that. ARE there any out there? I know there are some YA that deal with physically abusive relationships, but I don't think I've see any deal with the problems with possessiveness.

And, like, I do get that what we read doesn't reflect what want/think is good in real life, BUT when there's THIS much of it and we don't get to see the other side of it, I think it sort of normalizes it? And THAT'S what's damaging.

Cait The only one that I can think of is the Sarah Dessen book (Dreamland?) about it - that's done pretty well. I've only ever read it once because I was super weirded out, so I guess that's a good sign?

Yeah, if it wasn't becoming a legit TREND in publishing, it wouldn't matter as much, but like, it's becoming way too common & yes: it normalises it. like that is why pop-cultures is important because that's how people (especially teens - & lbr, there are gonna be a bunch of younger teens reading new adult) get information about the world & about dating in particular if we're talking about books, & sending out these messages that controlling behaviour is something to strive for is SO damaging.

message 5: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie I can't think of the title/author name off the top off my head, but there's another one. (I mean, I usually want to read happy stuff? So I don't read them? Though I did read Dreamland.)

And, like, I'm not saying I want books to ~teach a lesson~ and goodness knows the "nice guy" trope is problematic, too, but SIGH.

Cait Yeah there are a couple around, I know that much. Yeah I'm the same, I don't like sad and depressing books (normally, there are a few exceptions)

oh god no, ~issue books are awful, it's the trying too hard that frustrates me? ugh actually I probably hate the nice guy trope more? like I really hate the whole nice guy/friend zoned thing. Really though, it all comes from that same place, of socialising women to think that dudes are entitled to your time/attention/body/whatever.

message 3: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie YEP, I really, really, really hate the nice guy trope. REALLY, in my personal reading, I can probably deal with the possessive thing better than a lot of other problematic tropes.

Cait I think what gets me about the possessive guy trope is that there is a line, and it is often hard to tell when it's crossed? So yeah I can deal with it 97% of the time, it's when it's blatantly too far I can't. Nice guy trope I have like 5% patience for though.

message 1: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie YES. I agree entirely with that.