Pavithra Mahendran's Reviews > Inescapable

Inescapable by Amy A. Bartol

Jul 26, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

I actually liked reading this book, even though halfway through the story, it turned from a subtly witty, paranormal mystery into a full-on supernatural chick-lit. I had a slight Twilight deja-vu at the beginning though (sigh.. Will that ever end??) but I'm still going to read the next part of the series.
One thing that did rankle me was the terminology used by Evie throughout the book. In her conversations with Reed, she uses almost-formal sounding sentences with SAT-level vocabulary, but then all of a sudden, she's using words like "phat" and "pop", which I would get if she was sarcastic about it, but.. she wasn't.
The secondary characters in the book were all well-crafted and unique. I liked almost all of them. Uncle Jim was a pretty cool character and I would have liked seeing more of him. Killing him off just felt like a convenient way for Evie to permanently reside at Reed's house. And Freddie.. WTF?? I didn't see that coming at all! He was such a sweet and funny gut.. Man, what a waste!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inescapable.