Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > The Treachery of Beautiful Things

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kayla

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A girl gets thrown into a fantasy world of faeries and has to fight for love and freedom.

Opening Sentence: The streetlights flickered on outside the window and Jenny looked up from her book.

The Review:

FAERIES!!!! My favorite subject in the world of Young Adult Fiction. But not the Tinker Bell type fairies, but evil, beautiful, scheming faeries from ancient folklore. So this makes me a tad biased in how the book was. But even if it didn’t have faeries, for creativeness alone, this book is soooo amazing.

After 7 years of psychiatrists and reproachful looks, Jenny has finally decided to move on with her life and say good-bye to her kidnapped brother. So after 7 years of being told that what she saw that night wasn’t real, she is stunned to find out that there’s still hope for finding her brother and putting things right again. But it’s not as easy as she thinks. She has to get past Jack, the guardian of the Edge (where the real world and the Realm collide). He has so many allegiances to the rulers that his loyalty to her is swayed almost constantly. But Jack knows something Jenny doesn’t know…she’s the May Queen and the next possible leader of the Realm. With Titania/Mab hunting her down and Oberon trying to make her his queen, Jenny Wren has little hope for a future with Jack…but hope is the one thing that’s impossible to let go.

So, as I said before, this is a book about Faeries. But it’s also a rendition of Snow White (that’s becoming popular nowadays). Although the Snow White plot is small, it’s still cute and original. Every time a characteristic of Snow White’s story unfolded, I was all “aww’s” and “oo’s” (as you can see, I am also a sucker for retold fairy tales). AND! A bit of Norse mythology thrown cleverly in the mix.

The writing of the book is excellent. It has a wide variety of vocabulary (don’t worry it’s not the SATs) and great descriptions (but they don’t overwhelm you so much that you skip them *guilty.*)

Some parts of the book had me a tad confused. Just more explaining would help. The 3rd person POV really helped tell the history of the Fae without going into too much detail, although this also made it confusing at parts because it wasn’t explained all the way.

Although the book could have ended the way it was, I’m still hoping for a sequel. According to Long (I ran to twitter the instant I finished) a second book is still up in the air. So, we should beg Dial to turn Treachery into a series so we can have more Jack and Jenny!

Notable Scene:

“What’s a May Tree?” she asked, ignoring his admonition. He couldn’t know what she was planning. The idea itself was only germinating, and she’d need to pick her moment.

“That is.” He yawned and scratched his rump, referring to the tree tied all over with scraps from the white nightgown.

“The rags, Puck. What are the rags? Did Jack do this?”

Puck froze and then his face fell. “Ah…” he sighed. “Yes, probably. He would do that.”

“Why?” She folded her arms across her chest, the effect of which was lost inside the cloak. But her expression seemed to do the trick.

Puck rolled his eyes to the heavens. “They’re wishes. Each and every one. They’re his wishes.”

“So many?”

“No. Jack only has one wish. But he wishes it a thousand times a day.” Puck turned aside, gazing off though the trees where the song of the river came from. “He dreams of it, dreams of a future. Few creatures in the Realm are so cursed as to live in hope. Poor Jack o’ the Forest, Jack in Green. He only longs to be free.”

FTC Advisory: Dial/Penguin provided me with a copy of The Treachery of Beautiful Things. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treachery of Beautiful Things.

message 1: by Cillian (new) - added it

Cillian I love how your reviews always include the opening sentence.
Love it.