Katy's Reviews > Contagion of the Gods

Contagion of the Gods by Scott Rhine

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended to Katy by: Scott Rhine
Recommended for: fans of historical fantasy, Greek legends and lore

Book Info: Genre: Fantasy Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this eBook from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Sex, violence, and Greek gods—an epic fantasy in the vein of Gene Wolfe or Tim Powers.

If Pythias reads the future in the sun one more time, he could go blind; instead, he uses detective skills to solve the problems of Golden Age Athens. Then two charming but ruthless princes engage in a titanic battle to become the next incarnation of Dionysus. The contagion of the gods is loose again. As a member of a secret society known as the Sons of Prometheus, Pythias must find a way to stop the demigods or the nations of the Mediterranean will be drawn into war. A witch and a horse-legged Silenus guide them through the secrets behind the Greek legends in an odyssey that travels to the fabled island of the Gorgons and beyond.

My Thoughts: I’ve always enjoyed Rhine’s writing style, the sly humor he puts into it, and the research he does to make everything plausible, and after reading the early stages of this manuscript, I encouraged him to go ahead and finish it, so I’ve been very interested to see how it turned out.

Rhine has said this is a darker tale than his usual fare, but I found it just as entertaining and full of humor as any of his works. He puts in a lot of different legends and lore to this story, even, at one point, discussing the similarities between the Greek and Egyptian gods, which I found fascinating. I basically read the story through without stopping, and the time passed very quickly as I did. This is a must-read for those interested in mythology and Ancient Greece, as well as historical fantasy. Definitely pick this one up if this sounds like you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Contagion of the Gods.

July 26, 2012 – Shelved
July 26, 2012 – Shelved as: ebook
July 28, 2012 – Started Reading
July 28, 2012 –
July 28, 2012 – Finished Reading

Katy Should be up on Amazon in the next day or two; I beta read this last winter and it was awesome - I"m SO excited to see how it all turned out!

Katy Sam wrote: "The cover of this book is awesome"

Yeah, we had a lot of back and forth over it before he decided on that one (we as in all the other members of his "team", even though I really didn't have much to do with this one other than a beta read).

Michael Fierce Comparing it to Gene Wolfe, one of the greatest wordsmiths this world has and will ever see, and to Tim Powers, one of the legendary Steampunk grandfathers and one of the first to turn the Pirates of the Caribbean into a fantasy / horror concept. And it's about Greek Gods, which is what pulled me into liking and reading fantasy when I was like 6 or 7 yrs old? I think I could like this. Thx, Katy!

Katy Michael wrote: "Comparing it to Gene Wolfe, one of the greates wordsmiths this world has and will ever see, and to Tim Powers, one of the legendary Steampunk grandfathers and one of the first to turn the Pirates o..."

Any time! I think Scott has most of these on Smashwords, which means you can get them in any format you want, or from Amazon - and of course read them on your PC if you don't have an ereader yet :-)