Raven's Reviews > The Gifts of Imperfection

The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown

I came to this book after watching Brown's TED talk on vulnerability and seeing this book mentioned elsewhere online. The messages of this book are so very important and they really spoke to me. The idea that we are worthy: "The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites." Some of the prerequisites she mentions are "I'll be worthy when I lose twenty pounds," "I'll be worthy if everyone thinks I'm a good parent," "I'll be worthy when I can do it all and look like I'm not even trying." Yes! Living an authentic life: "Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of we we think we're supposed to be and embracing who we are." Wow! Of speaking honestly: "We're afraid that people won't like us if they know the truth about who we are, where we come from, what we believe, how much we're struggling, or, believe it or not, how wonderful we are when soaring." Yes, yes, yes! I see this a lot in the mommy community--all of these things, actually. She calls the goal Wholehearted Living, and I like that. When we see ourselves for who we are, when we strive because we have goals and dreams (and now because of what others will think), when we calm the storms of constant comparison and judgment, we can transform ourselves and our lives. I do wish she had gone deeper with each of her points, perhaps pointing out even more practical ways to apply her message. Overall, the writing was accessible and often humorous and I felt like this was something I really needed to read right now. I marked my copy up and plan on coming back to my notes often to remind myself to live more Wholeheartedly.

One more for the road: "Perfectionism is not the same thing as striving to be your best. Perfectionism is not about healthy achievement and growth (...) Perfectionism is not self-improvement. Perfectionism is, at its core, about trying to earn approval and acceptance (...) Healthy striving is self-focused--How can I improve? Perfectionism is other-focused--What will they think?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gifts of Imperfection.

Started Reading