Jane's Reviews > Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

Jul 26, 2012

liked it

I have decided to choose Death Comes to Pemberley for my first Goodreads review!

I think a fairer rating for me would probably be 3.5 stars. When I added it to my 'Currently Reading' shelf, I noticed that it had an average rating of 3.08, and I have to say that (at that point in my progress through the book) I was a little surprised. I was about a third of the way through, and was really enjoying it. I am a huge Pride and Prejudice fan, and although I had never actually hankered after a sequel, I thought it would be nice to see what had happened to Elizabeth and Darcy after they were married.

I thought it started rather well. I enjoyed learning about Lizzie's life at Pemberley, and it was good to see Jane and Bingley back. It was nice to find out what had happened to Lizzie's other sisters in the intervening years, Even up to and including the incident itself, when death came to Pemberley, was perfectly acceptable, and when Lydia made her reappearance, I was delighted to see that she was as irritating as ever!

But the conclusion to the mystery left me feeling a little bit flat. I knew that the person accused of murder would turn out to be innocent, and while I hadn't guessed who was the actual perpetrator, I did realise quite early on that the inclusion of his storyline was significant. I also felt that the epilogue was over long, and seemed to serve simply as proof that the author knew Pride and Prejudice inside out. It seemed to be a list of all the major plot points in the novel, and didn't seem all that relevant to the events of this story.

I did like the subtle nods to both Persuasion and Emma though, as I think most Austenphiles will have.

So all in all, not a terrible book, and probably worth a read for fans of the original, if only to see if James' imaginings of life post-Longbourn tally with their own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Comes to Pemberley.

July 26, 2012 – Started Reading