Kate's Reviews > Catch-22

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Nov 14, 2008

It took me a few minutes to decide whether or not I wanted to give three or four stars to Catch-22. While I realize that it's a brilliantly written piece of comic satire, I found that there was really nothing for me, as a female, to latch onto. It's undoubtedly a phallocentric book. With the exception of a couple of nurses and one or two other peripheral characters, every woman in the book is a prostitute. I don't know if there is a single female character whose breasts are not described in painstaking detail. Now, I'm not going to enter into a treatise on sexism in Catch-22 - I wasn't offended by it - I just had a bit of trouble engaging with the characters.

I expected to love this book, for the simple reason that I'd heard SO many gushing, laudatory reviews from my closest friends and family. In retrospect, I now realize that every single one of those adoring reviewers was a dude. I'm not suggesting that women can't enjoy this book. I'm simply stating that this particular woman didn't enjoy it as much as she thought she would.

I ultimately decided on four stars for this book, instead of the three that I had initially planned to dole out, mostly because I really warmed up to it in the last 100 pages or so. The final "Snowden" chapter was pretty powerful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch-22.

November 14, 2008 – Shelved